【89】A Month

The truth of what was happening was still making its way into my mind

Things had been so smooth – until yesterday, at least – this deal had slipped my mind. On my part, I hadn't needed to wait a month to know I wanted things to become more serious, more official. But still, there we were, at the end of our trial month. If my suspicions were right, then just like me, Lex wanted more, so much more. But my stupid insecurities kicked in, making me wonder what decisions we would take.

I saw him type, and I waited, impatient and apprehensive. "So, I was wondering, Walker, what definition do you think is more accurate?"

If I said it was the first one, it would mean we would have to wait for the 2nd to have the talk. So two more days. If I went for the latter, though, it would happen today. For a moment, I thought about what to answer, unsure what the best thing was. After a moment had passed, the voice of reason made itself heard.

What the hell was I worried about? This wasn't the end of the line. How could I doubt Lex's affection? How could I worry he'd want to finish things?

Feeling more confident, I sent him my answer, nibbling on my bottom lip. "I like four weeks better. It's simpler, more precise, and you don't get random intervals of days between each month."

Around me, the guys started to stand up, ready to go eat their lunch, but I didn't budge, waiting for Lex's answer. Brian stopped as he passed by me, pointing a finger toward the door. "Aren't you coming?"

"I'll join you guys later," I encouraged with a nod.

When Lex's answer finally came, I was alone in the room. "I like it better too. It's neater, rounder, and it also means I can ask you out on a date earlier than I thought."

The breath I was holding left my lungs with a surprised exhale. A dumbfounded smile slowly grew on my lips, my eyes reading his text over and over. He was asking me out on a date. An official date. A real thing, like real couples did.

It felt stupid to be so elated by this. After everything we'd already shared, it was ridiculous for a date to mean so much. So far, it seemed we had been spared from the awkwardness of dating, skipping right past it to get to the good bits. First, sex, and then the proper appreciation for one another, and finally we'd start dating. Everything was backward.

But somehow, I didn't mind the idea of going through the whole process with Lex, even if we were doing it wrong. I wanted to go out on dates with him. Maybe it would be awkward, but I longed to go see a movie, to go to dinner, to spend a day together somewhere. Everything we'd done so far had been behind closed doors, and I longed for us to be rid of the secrecy. I wanted to be outside with him, to show the world he was mine, to show them I was his. As vain as it may sound, an arrogant part of me wanted other women to envy me. Yes, this gorgeous, incredible human being had chosen me, despite all the other possibilities.