【68】Fighting Robots

After the presentation, we all decided to head out for celebratory drinks

After the presentation, we all decided to head out for celebratory drinks. We were thrilled with the impeccable way we had handled it.

On our way out of the building, we crossed the path of several people who stopped us for some questions regarding the app we'd developed. Many people were very enthusiastic about it, some had mute or deaf people in their entourage, some just appreciated what we were doing for people whom society often brushed under the carpet. While there was a business plan at hand and the app would make a lot of money to Kelex, there was still a real wish to help the disabled community.

It was incredibly rewarding to hear eulogistic comments and praises regarding my hard work. Lex was proud too, and it added to my satisfaction. We eventually made it out of the center and headed to the steakhouse. Lex paid us a round of beers. With a joyful ambiance lingering, we ate, laughed, and chatted. Before long, we were heading back to the convention, hyped about the upcoming robot fight.

The RGF was taking place in a separate hall, smaller than the others. There were a few stands there, with companies that were mostly into high-tech electronics or robotic programming. Although Brian was worried he would be kicked out, nothing happened when we passed the security guards, and Oli and Mace teased him about the botched hair bleaching being utterly worthless. When we entered, there was already a small crowd gathering around the stage. I was amazed to see the installation. There was a small arena in the middle, surrounded by high plexiglass walls as well as a net over the area.

Although it sounded very futuristic and entertaining, the fight would basically be a bunch of robots that looked like Roomba vacuums, bumping into each other until they flipped their opponent on their back. This setup, though, seemed to have been prepared for more of a T-800 type of robot.

We made our way through the people to get a better glimpse at the arena, while Oli explained to me how it would unfold. The robots would fight in rounds of four, as some sort of selection. There would be twelve of those rounds. Then, the twelve winners of those fights would face each other in more rounds of four participants. Then, the three winners would compete for the title in the great finale. The concept was certainly appealing, and I now understood their enthusiasm.

The competing robots were exposed so the public could check them out, and they had a sticker with their numbers in red patched on top. Yeah, these looked like weaponized Roombas, and not futuristic killing machines. Funnily enough, people were examining them and placing bets. There was no money involved, but the organizers of the competition were offering some goodies to the ones who betted on the champion. We had already each won a bag of swag with the trivia, but I wasn't opposed to winning some more free things. Broke girl's habits.

I went over all the robots, trying to gauge which one had the most chances to win. With each fighter, there was a small note explaining who'd built it, as well as technical information. One of them seemed to have more potential than the others, and I returned to it, wondering if it could beat all the others. The company that had built it was known for its quality work, and while it was smaller than the average, it looked resistant and efficient.