【49】Dealing With Consequences

Noon couldn't come soon enough

Noon couldn't come soon enough. The fact that I desperately wanted to leave the room and go on my lunch break didn't help the time pass any faster.

Things had never been precisely smooth between Lex and me, but now, we had reached another level. If it wasn't for the lingering soreness of my intimacy, I could have believed I had imagined what had happened.

Our reluctance to communicate with each other wasn't helping the project move faster. I found myself stuck at some point, but stubbornly decided I could manage on my own, refusing to ask for his help. After half an hour on the same issue, I took a deep breath and asked him to come over.

Without a word, he came to my side and looked at the faulty script. I was reassured when he didn't find the problem right away. It made me feel less stupid. On the other hand, it also made him stay longer bent over near me. After a few unsuccessful minutes, he went to get his chair and settled down next to me.

I tried to focus on the script, to keep my eyes on the screen, but I was constantly drawn to him. He was a magnet, and I was a piece of iron that stood no chance. I kind of wished I were aluminum, though.

His scent surrounded me, the smell of his skin almost intoxicating. Every time he typed something, I'd glimpse at his powerful hands, remembering his fingers had been inside of me. Behind his glasses, his eyes were focused on the lines of commands on the screen before us. He had looked at me with the same intensity while he was extracting shameful confessions out of me, taunting me with an incoming orgasm.

Damned be those glasses. They got to me all the time. I couldn't get over how sexy he looked as the nerdy, brainiac Lex.

I was slowly slipping into a state of light arousal, feeling my intimacy grow wetter by the minute. Twelve hours ago, we'd been naked and panting, enjoying each other's body to bliss. It was so hard to keep in mind that we were at work and that he was my boss.

I didn't want to be this person. I wanted to be the hard-working woman I had always been. This app was my baby, my pride and joy. It deserved more than half of my attention. Just like with drugs, habituation slowly came in, and after some time, I was able to get back into the game. The withdrawal would most certainly be a bitch.

We ended up working side by side for most of the morning. It was undeniable that the combined power of our brains was making things incredibly faster. I was always proud when I would think of something before him or anticipate an error before he'd catch it. Everyone wanted to be smarter than an actual genius.

We were still elbow-deep into it when my phone vibrated in my back pocket. I pulled it out and turned on the screen to see what the message was. It was Kate, and the notification only showed: "So???? How good was he? You are the sneak—"

Mortified, I rapidly turned the screen back off, and took a quick look at Lex, to make sure he hadn't seen anything. He was still paying attention to the script, and I hoped this time my correspondence with Kate hadn't been read. I noticed it was already lunchtime, and an overwhelming desire for fresh air overtook me. I needed to get out of here, to breathe, to walk, to be away from Lex.