【27】Lawyering Up

Begging whoever was listening up there, I did a quick prayer, asking to be spared from having to share my personal space with Lex

Begging whoever was listening up there, I did a quick prayer, asking to be spared from having to share my personal space with Lex. "Where can I put my things?" I asked, turning to the only remaining people; my two bosses.

"Your computer has been set up in my office, you can put them there," Lex answered in a neutral tone.

With my hopes crushed, I moved out to comply. I'd somehow hoped he would have realized how stupid this idea was, and have either let me stay with the guys in the Lair, or found me another office near his.

As I approached the door to his office, I mumbled a curse, reaching for the handle. When the panel opened, I instantly spotted where they had set up my computer. The half-empty side of Lex's desk now hosted my PC. Oh, great... Couldn't I just have been put into a corner, like the quiet secretary in movies, as far from him as possible?

Deciding to improve this situation as much as possible, I quickly went there, dropped my bag, put the contract down, and sat in front of my screens. Mine and his were settled on opposite sides of the desk, so at least I wouldn't be next to him. I positioned my chair in a setting that seemed natural and tried to determine exactly where his face would be when he was sitting. I approximately visualized it and moved my screens slightly to the left so they would hide him. Proud of myself, I stood up and left for lunch.

After a quick meal with my colleagues – whom I would dearly miss – I went back up. When I entered the office, Lex was already working, which I'd anticipated. I grumbled internally and went for my seat. As I got closer, I spotted the documents Kevin had handed me, and they appeared as my saviors in this moment of darkness.

With the papers in hand, I headed for the couch, avoiding my boss' eyes. I'd forgotten about the rigidness of the designer sofa. As suspected, the document was all judicial stuff, and incredibly boring to read. I forced myself to stay focused, knowing it was too important to be taken lightly. A few of the sentence formulations were complex and convoluted. I wished for an instant that Kate was here; it was her domain after all. I considered sending her questions, but I didn't want to seem to be texting on the job.

By the time I reached the second page, the uncomfortable couch was becoming a problem. From then, I regularly twisted and wriggled, trying to find a better position. I found it when I started the fifth page. Well, were my abuela to find me like this, she would tell me to sit straight and stop being sprawled like some sea animal washed ashore.

By the time I reached the final paragraph, it felt as though my energy had been drained out of me. A few clauses still confused me, but as Kevin had said, the document was as good for me as it was for them. I returned to my side of the desk, the papers in hand.

"Was everything clear?" Alexander asked as I sat down. My screen blocking technique worked perfectly, so I had to stretch my neck to look at him. His eyes were still focused on his screen, the white light of it reflected on his glasses.