【31】Double Date

The closest spot I found to park was about a block from the restaurant, and walking the rest of the way allowed me to mentally prepare myself for whatever was coming

The closest spot I found to park was about a block from the restaurant, and walking the rest of the way allowed me to mentally prepare myself for whatever was coming. The short distance was enough to reinforce my appreciation for the shoes I'd picked. As I reached the restaurant, I noticed it was part of a fancy hotel, and it was then that I regretted not following Kate's instructions regarding my attire. Nevertheless, I went to the hotel's entrance and found my way to the dining room.

It was magnificent, with high ceilings, cream-colored walls, several massive crystal chandeliers... The designer furniture seemed high-end, and the whole place felt very European. People were dressed either in smart or formal attire, and I felt like I was staining the elegant ambiance of the room.

Trying to ignore the intense beating of my heart, I went to the maître d'hôtel. "Good evening," I told the man with a shy smile.

"Good evening, Miss. How may I help you?"

"I am joining people. I don't know if they have arrived yet. The reservation should be under..." I stopped, racking my brain to remember Kevin's name. Damned be that company where everyone is friendly and equal. "Give me a second, I just have to make sure," I excused myself, stepping slightly to the side. A quick search on Google would give me Kevin's surname.

"I am here for the Langley reservation," said a low, familiar voice next to me. My heart skipped a beat, and the tiny hairs on my neck rose. I slowly spun around to face the owner of the voice.

I ended up facing Alexander, who was looking at the maître d'hôtel with his eternally stern expression. He looked down at me half a second after I'd turned, and a slight shock painted his traits as he frowned. I tensed under his eyes as he rapidly analyzed me. There, he was seeing me in my dress, and I was ready to prove my point. Trying to ignore my discomfort, I waited, looking at his face with scrutinizing eyes, waiting to see his reaction.

I knew Kate was wrong, and I would prove it. There was no way someone like him would "eye-fuck" a woman like me, as Kate had so crudely put it.

After his gaze had lingered on my silhouette for a moment, evaluating me, his eyes met mine again. Unlike what my best friend had predicted, Lex wasn't devouring me with his eyes, but a somber expression shadowed his face instead. His square jaw clenched and his eyes were two menacing slits under his frowning eyebrows. Ha! in your face, Kate! Lex wasn't eating me up, but more likely judging me for my choice of outfit. Which was understandable. I doubted many Dr. Martens had trod these marbled floors.

If the man wasn't bewitched, I, however, was anything but unaffected.

He was wearing a slim-fitting suit, made of a petrol blue fabric that seemed halfway between cotton and silk. His shirt was a lighter shade of blue, and the first three buttons were undone. He was a magnificent sight. Under his intense stare, I warmed up, and I felt myself react to his proximity. I had an acute perception of everything that was happening to me, to where I could sense my nipples getting hard under the thin fabric of my dress. The silk wasn't thick enough to hide it, so I blushed with mortification at the thought that he might see my body's absurd reaction to him.