【20】Helping Hand

Overnight, Tammy's idea to involve Oliver had taken root in my brain

Overnight, Tammy's idea to involve Oliver had taken root in my brain. I had decided to ask him if he could help. As soon as I entered the Lair, I dropped my bag on my chair and went to Oli. He was already working on something, his headphones on, but he somehow sensed my presence and removed them as he turned to me.

"Hi, Picasso," I teased, leaning back on his desk.

He squinted his eyes, trying to look menacing. He couldn't quite hold back his smile, so he failed miserably. "In my defense, Daryl's wife was almost as bad as I was," he argued, turning his chair to face me.

"No, she wasn't. If I had to compare, she was Leonardo da Vinci, and you were Leonardo the ninja turtle," I corrected.

He chuckled, and the soft sound of it made me laugh in return. "Man, I wish I was Leonardo. Pizza every day, fighting crime, doing backflips, having a shell..."

I chuckled at the last one. "Don't forget April. She's hot."

"Meh, I prefer brunettes," he said nonchalantly. I stayed unmoving for a second, my mouth slightly open. Was he flirting with me? Thank God he was staring at his mouse pad, or he would have witnessed my utter shock. "You wanted something?" he eventually asked, looking up at me.

I quickly closed my mouth, my teeth clashing harshly. "Yes! I had a favor to ask of you," I said, lowering my voice. Understanding my secretive tone, he leaned forward a little. "I was wondering if you could hack into the national ASL website and get a few things for me while you're there?"

He gazed up, the expression on his face indecipherable. I gave him a small smile, trying to look touching and cute as I implored him with my eyes. "Are you asking me to do something illegal?" he asked, putting his hand over his chest in a very dramatic fashion.

I realized he was teasing me, and I sighed, reassured. "Well, I was told it wouldn't be your first rodeo."

"May I ask where you got this information from?"

"I have my sources," I answered mysteriously, knowing full well there was no doubt for him that my roommate had been the one spilling the beans.

"I knew I should have left no witnesses... Rookie mistake," he falsely scolded himself. I giggled and leaned back on the desk again. "What do you need this for?"

"It's a personal project I've been working on for a while now. If you can get me what I need, and if it helps improve it as I intend, I'll show you what it's about." I paused, crossing my arms over my chest. "So, Mr. Hunt, shall you accept your mission?" I insisted.

"What do you need exactly?"

"They have an exhaustive list of sentence formulations, and that's what I need."

"If that's just that, I could give you a list of software that would easily do the trick."

"And risk getting caught? Never! I have a Tamagotchi to take care of!" I joked.