【24】Sweet Ride

For about two seconds, I thought Alexander's command to work here – with him – was a poor attempt at a joke

For about two seconds, I thought Alexander's command to work here – with him – was a poor attempt at a joke. So, naturally, a confused smile bent my lips. His imperious expression and his slightly raised brow rapidly proved it wasn't, in fact, a joke. Upon understanding that, my amusement died instantly, and the blood left my face at once.

What the hell? How did I end up in this position? I had gone from barely ever seeing the man, to my great satisfaction, to having to share an office with him? Oh, hell no!

It was very tempting to refuse or try to find my way out of this situation. I clearly didn't want to spend God knows how long stuck in this room with him. Not only did I fear the arguments that would most certainly occur, but I would also take the risk of jumping him and molesting him at some point. For my survival, I needed to be as far from Lex as possible.

On the other hand, the man had a couple hundred thousand dollars with my name on them, and I would not ruin this by acting like a coward and fleeing my responsibilities.

"Hmm, are you sure?" I insisted, trying to sound as amiable as possible.

"Yes. It'll be for a month, two at best. I swear I'll try not to insult you too often," he proposed with a hint of humor.

It was the first time I'd seen him make a joke. And it was at his own expense. Maybe the man had a few redeeming qualities after all. I smiled politely and closed my laptop.

"I'm sorry for keeping you here so late," he said, surprising me once more. "I hope you didn't have any plans."

"Nothing that couldn't be rescheduled."

I went to my bag with my computer and slid it in there. When I turned around, I saw he'd followed me and was standing next to me with his impressive height. My bag served as some sort of shield, as I pressed it against my chest. If it had some physical effectiveness, it was useless for the feelings that stormed me. Damn, he is gorgeous...

He was a few feet away from me, and after he'd unrolled his sleeves, he took his jacket from a hanging rail by the door and put it on with a fluid motion, his lean body incredibly tempting. I felt like an ugly duckling, admiring a magnificent swan.

The sight of him in a suit was truly a one to behold. He passed a hand in his combed hair, messing it a little. Since I'd seen him do this a few times now, I gathered the gesture wasn't intentional, but rather a habit.

We got out of his office and walked side by side in heavy silence. Everyone was long gone, and we were probably the only ones left in the entire building, along with a few janitors and guards. Once we reached the elevators, he pressed the button to call one.

It was almost tempting to go for the stairs, preferring exercising rather than being confined with him in such a small space. With my luck and agility, though, I would undoubtedly slip on one of those few hundred steps, fall face first, break all of my teeth, and never be able to speak properly again or eat anything that couldn't pass through a straw. Yeah, no. Even with him in it, the elevator seemed like a lesser evil.