【55】School Trip

The next day, I arrived precisely on time at the airport

The next day, I arrived precisely on time at the airport. My Uber driver had been rather chatty, which had prevented me from embarrassingly falling asleep in his car.

Despite the exhaustion, I had been way too excited to fall asleep the night before. When finally, all the endorphins and adrenaline had settled down, I had woken up every hour or so to check the time anxiously. I had this universal fear of missing my alarm and thus my flight.

Thankfully, it hadn't happened, even though I'd decided to get up an hour earlier than what I had scheduled, and had spent it all in the bathroom, waxing, plucking, exfoliating, and hydrating my skin. I was ready for whatever could happen in San José. I'd even be damn sure to make it happen. Since Lex had agreed we'd continue on this route, I would most certainly try to get myself some of that D.

As I reached the terminal we were supposed to meet, I quickly spotted the tall, dark, and handsome man who was attached to the D I coveted. Rolling my suitcase behind me, my backpack heavy with my laptop, I went to join Lex and the only one who seemed to have arrived so far, Steven.

Lex noticed me when I was about ten steps away, and his eyes locked on me with incredible precision, not letting go of me until I reached my destination. "Hey, guys!" I greeted.

Strategically, I avoided looking at Lex, fearing I might spontaneously combust where I stood. He was wearing a black button-up shirt tucked in his jeans, with a dark blue blazer jacket. I already found him dashing with a simple T-shirt, so this was just too much for me.

We'd been told to dress up since we would represent Kelex there. I had packed my things in that sense, which meant blouses and professional-looking tops, two skirts, my fancy-looking jeans, dress pants... I had taken a few comfier clothes with me because I hardly thought I could survive so long without wearing a sweater and leggings.

Given how dapper Lex was looking, I was tempted to look down at my own outfit, wondering if I'd done enough. I was wearing a white dress shirt with a red leather jacket I had barely ever worn, as well as brand new jeans and my black Chucks. I also had a pair of safe and medium height heels in my suitcase, which I'd bought and never worn, but this trip could be the occasion for it.

I had never gone anywhere for work, and I couldn't help but feel like this resembled some sort of fun school trip. The furthest I'd gone to during high school was New York, but I still kept fond memories of it. I was going away with my friendly colleagues, we'd get drinks, do things, have fun... Yes, this would be a lovely moment. I looked at Steven, whom I wasn't used to seeing so dressed up. He was wearing a shirt with an open button-up thrown over it, but the perpetual plaid pattern had been replaced by a light blue fabric that had been carefully ironed. His hair had clearly been brushed before he'd tied it in a ponytail, and his beard was trimmed, which showed he took the matter very seriously.

"Hi, Andy," he said with a smile, adjusting his glasses on his nose. "You look nice."

"Thanks. You look great too," I answered, reassured about my clothes. Deciding I couldn't ignore him without seeming suspicious, I turned to Lex. I admired his body from toe to head and shook my head when I met his eyes with a playful smile. "Seriously, boss, you could have at least tried to look decent. It's an important thing we're going to."