【08】Poking the bear

The next day, Tuesday, I arrived looking like a zombie

The next day, Tuesday, I arrived looking like a zombie. For the occasion, I was wearing a shirt with Negan and Lucille printed on it. It seemed I did have a thing for villains. I had succeeded in the no-touching-myself department, but miserably failed in getting my beauty sleep.

It wasn't even nine, and I was already exhausted. I had absolutely no idea how I would keep my word to Kate and unpack my boxes today. Knowing myself, I'd get home, sign the lease, and fall face-first on my couch, eager to get some much-needed sleep.

On my way to the Troll's Lair, I stopped by the break room to pour myself a coffee. It would be the third one, already. I went to the well-equipped kitchen and opened a few cupboards until I found the mugs. They were basic, white mugs, and I'd seen people around the office with personalized ones. Maybe I had to bring one if I wanted to have my own cup?

A fresh batch of magic bean juice was in the coffee pot, and I poured some of it in my mug. The box with the sugar was right next to the machine and added a few spoonfuls of sweetness. I was at my fifth when a voice behind me startled me.

"Would you like some more coffee with that sugar?"

I turned around instantly and found myself face to face with Oliver. He was looking at me with a teasing smile, following his joke. Now that I had slept on it, I noticed that he was rather attractive. Not in the classical way, but there was something kind about him that was very reassuring and enticing. Looking down at my coffee, I bit my lip with a grimace.

"Don't tell anyone, but I really don't like the taste of coffee," I confessed. "But I also need to wake up."

"My mouth is sealed." I couldn't help but smile when he mimicked the gesture. "It seems we had the same idea," he added, lifting his own empty mug in front of him. He too had his own cup, in the shape of Darth Vader's helmet. The detail made my appreciation of Oli even greater, as I really had a thing for geeks.

"I see... You don't really seem to need the energy boost, though."

"I, unlike you, drink it for the taste, and not because I need to wake up. I slept like a baby, thank you very much. What happened to you?"

I winced, hiding my embarrassment. Lying was never something I did lightly, but I didn't have much choice here. "I was too excited." Well, that isn't a lie.

"I can understand," he said with compassion as he reached for the coffee. "When I first started here, I think I didn't touch ground for at least a month. It was surreal."

"How long have you been here?"

"Almost since the beginning. When I started seven years ago, we were eight working for Kelex, including Steven, Kev, and Lex."

"Kev?"

"Kevin Langley. He is the co-owner. He and Lex are childhood friends. Kev is the face of the company, he handles the social parts, and Lex is the engineer, the brain behind it all."