Annika ♤

Krenn Manor, Hallstatt Austria

"Lady Annika! Hurry up! Your parents ask for your presence!"

As known to be clumsy despite the sophistication this face exudes, I grabbed everything all at once. Not even minding the unfinished hairstyle that I've been working on, the night gown beneath a long robe that I'm still wearing and the excitement that I'm feeling.

As I approached the table where my mother and father are having breakfast, they both welcomed me with nothing but serious looks.

"Mama...Papa..."

The excitement I felt upon seeing them...suddenly disappeared. It has been months since the last time we had breakfast together  and this is the kind of welcome I see.

"Seriously, child... Look at you...is that how you'll present yourself to your future home?"

Future home?...

"Niki, sweetheart, even though you possess such a beautiful face, a lady should be proper when presenting herself in any situation given. You already turned 20 and yet still act like...some child!"

The butler moved the chair for me to sit down and I slowly did. My nana stood behind me and continued fixing my hair with an apologetic look as my parents gave us both, a glare.

My parents aren't always opened about how they feel. They seldom give show affection but when they do, I couldn't contain such happiness. I thought being away from them will give them time to miss me... but just like any travel that they have which usually takes months, when they return, it's as if they didn't miss me at all. They show their love differently.

Their letters are a complete contrast of their image and how they present themselves. They allow me to do the things I want to do. However they always reprimand me about my clumsiness and the way I carry myself. I was trained to wear dresses and be more lady like. Not to mention the annoying heels! 😣 When they're off to a far place, I wear whatever I like. 😄 and my nana allows me.

"Annika. You have to prepare."

I paused as I was about to eat my bread.

"Prepare for what, mama?..."

My father cleared his throat;

"To be sent off for wedlock."

I'm sure my nana was in awe too.

"W-wait, Papa, isn't it too early for me to get ma-"

"You are to marry... Austria."

Everyone inside the room fell silent. Even the servants were probably shook.

I was the first one to regain composure.

"M-me??"

"The royal family favors you. You are the closest titled heiress that they wish to be betrothed to Krystofer Seokjin."

"M-my lady!"

My nana held my shoulders and embraced me.