Frail ◇

•Seokjin•

"Get the keys."

"Yes, your highness..."

Annika locked herself inside the bath of our chamber. For hours not a single servant had convince her to step out of the cold room. Only the faint sound of her weeping can be heard.

For how many times I tried to convince her as well but it seems that her senses were shut.

I left and returned for a number of times and still...

The faint weeps continued.

Anne gently patted my arm.

"I'm sorry..."

I gently patted her hand which rested on my arm.

"It's not your fault. It would be better for you to put a distance between us from now on Anne. We can't be seen like this. We both know that one wrong move could strip you off from your job. I don't want that to happen... you know...this isn't what I want for the both of us."

She stepped away and bowed.

"I will take my leave, your highness."

I didn't watch Anne leave our chamber... I focused on the heavy locked door that separates us from a pained princess. The moment the keys were handed to me, I didn't waste time and unlocked the door.

I found her curled up on the cold ivory floor of the huge bath. I didn't have to wonder why the weeping stopped...she fell asleep, exhausted from crying for hours. When I gently took her to my arms, I felt how cold her skin was. She wore a dainty teal dress with a low back line which beautifully exposed her skin. I gently wiped the almost dry tears on her captivating face and once again, felt guilt, crawling within me...

I recalled our conversation not so long ago...

Those days when our relationship was smooth enough for us to be friends in a marriage.

I always reminded her of the position we need to carry out.

"We can always maintain our royal flare but behind the palace doors, you're  just a vessel to produce my heir. Let's be friends and not destroy each other."

A fixed smile remained on my face...

But what she said next, I didn't expect.

"I wish...we can be more than that, Seokjin."

I didn't know how to respond to her. For a woman who is soon to be my wife and I have no feelings for, what should I say?

"Who knows."

I really didn't know what to say.