Chapter 5

As expected, my night ended all too soon, and I woke up to the shrill sounds of my alarm. I groaned a little but rolled out of bed and headed downstairs. I made myself some coffee and eggs, eating slowly before deciding I should probably go get ready for the tour.

I showered quickly, adding some product to my pink hair almost instantly in attempt to control the natural curl. I decided on some black jeans with tears all up them; a charcoal gray tight tank top crop top; a white, pink, and gray flannel; a black beanie; my combat boots; and, obviously, my bracelets.

The bracelets had been a gift from Bella a couple weeks after I returned to school from my stay at the psych ward. She had given me two thick black rubber bracelets that had the symbols of all sorts of punk, rock, and grunge bands on them. She had given them to me and told me that she hoped they helped me remember that there were people who loved me and that there was always another solution, not just suicide. I knew she wanted me to have them so I could quit wearing long sleeves in the Pheonix heat, but either way, I loved and appreciated the gesture.

I sat down in front of the full length mirror in my bedroom and applied a small amount of makeup. Once I finished, I slid a few other pieces of jewelry on and headed back downstairs to wait for Dad to get home. I scrolled through the TV channels, trying to familiarize myself with the new setup of everything. I settled on some reruns of Criminal Minds and tried to stay awake. Luckily, Dad was home before too long. He was grumbling complaints about some case and how people were idiots. I just let him go, deciding not to interrupt his routine.

"Lottie, I'm going to go shower. I'll be down in a few," he said, hanging his vest and belt in the closet before sliding his gun off the belt and taking it with him. I figured he didn't go many places without it.

"I'll be here," I said. I sat around waiting, looking at all the old pictures of Izzy and I. Every last one of our old school pictures was framed and hanging on the walls of the living room. There were a few others from our childhood framed on the TV stand and I knew he had more in the kitchen. I also noticed his wedding picture sitting amongst the others on the TV stand. Maybe he wasn't as over Mom as we all believed him to be.

That thought didn't matter though, because pretty soon he was running down the stairs and trying to hurry me out the door. He was dressed in a pair of jeans and a flannel that he'd buttoned all the way up, almost like he was trying to look dressy yet casual.

"Dad, it's okay," I said as we got into the cruiser. We were no where near being late, yet he was freaking out.

"I haven't had a kid around in a long time. Cut me some slack," he said.

"I'll try, but I make no promises," I said, flashing a smile at him. He drove us out to the school that was situated just off the highway like everything else in this small town.

When we arrived at the school, I immediately took a picture of the school and posted it with the caption "I don't think Forks High is ready for this hurricane called Charlotte."