Chapter 24

As we walked into the living room, I noticed my best friend standing there in the flesh and blood.

"AJ," I said happily. I ran over and hugged him tightly.

"I've missed you too Lottie," he said, hugging me in return.

"Sorry I don't look better. I don't own a suit," he said nervously.

"I really hope you aren't apologizing to me. I am just incredibly happy you are here," I said.

"Here to stay and everything. I start school Monday," he said.

"That's amazing. How did this happen?" I asked. "Like, how'd you end up here, in the Cullen house, on my birthday?"

"Emmett and I have been friends for a while. I mean, I had to make sure you were in good hands Lottie. So, when I told him about moving for sure, he suggested this and I agreed instantly," AJ said. "I just landed about an hour ago. Emmett picked me up and got us back in time for him to change so we could be ready for you."

"Seriously Em?" I asked. He nodded a little causing me to hug him again.

"Thank you so much," I said. "That's the best present ever."

"I know how much AJ means to you. You two need each other to survive, clearly. Besides, you need to get back to music and I knew you wouldn't without AJ here," he said. "You're welcome though."

"Your dad just arrived," Emmett said lowly. Carlisle and Esme headed out to greet him. The rest of us sat around the living room, talking a little. Alice and Jasper slipped off to finish setting up the party that I apparently got no choice in. After dinner and after my dad headed home, they were forcing me to have a birthday party with them. I didn't even want to know what that entailed, but it was probably bad karaoke performed by Mason and Emmett and dumb games that are only fun when the people taking part are drunk.

"Dad, this is AJ. AJ, this is my father, Police Chief Charlie Swan," I said, introducing the two.

"It's nice to finally meet you. My daughter talks about you and the band all the time," Dad said.

"It's been our life for a few years. We scraped together every penny to pay for studio time before letting Max join. Our hearts and souls were put into the band," AJ said.

We took in Max and Abby to pay for studio time because Max's dad owned the studio we'd been recording in. He offered to let us record for free during dead hours, usually 11pm to 3 or 4am, as long as Max was in the band. AJ and I were not very fond of him or his lack of musical ability, but we needed to pay for the recording of our CD somehow. So, we let Max, and his sort-of-okay-at-playing-piano girlfriend join the band.

Dad began to talk to Carlisle about the Mariners, and I was suddenly thankful for the Cullen's love for baseball.

Before long, Esme called for us all to join her since dinner was finished. The meal passed quickly as we all ate and talked. I knew that meant that the Cullen's would have to puke whatever they ate up soon, but it kept Dad and AJ from being suspicious of them.

Emmett usually got volunteered for eating when someone at school noticed since if he was caught puking they'd think he was just sick and not bulimic.

After dinner and dessert, Dad decided he should probably call it a night since he had to be in early the next morning. He left, heading home, and leaving me in the care of the Cullen's.