Chapter 18

The next morning, I rolled out of bed about eight o'clock. I showered in ten minutes due to my hair still being in the braids from yesterday. I pulled on a black crop top, some high waisted black skinny jeans, and I tied a black and white flannel around my waist. I pulled the braids from my hair and allowed the waves to fall around my shoulders before pulling a black beanie on. I decided on a longer necklace that had a crescent moon on it along with my bracelets.

My mind raced with the thoughts of my conversation with Emmett the night before. I was beyond happy to finally be his official girlfriend, but I was still a little shocked by the news. Obviously I couldn't tell anyone. Anyways, it'd be his secret to share, not mine.

I headed down stairs, being greeted in the kitchen by my half asleep father.

"Everything okay?" I asked, going to the freezer and grabbing some waffles. I popped them in the toaster as Dad sat down at the table with a second cup of coffee.

"It will be Lottie," he said. "I, uh, I got you something. I just, I want to know you're protected."

"Dad, I'm fine," I said.

"Here, take it anyways. Put it on your car keys or something," he said. He handed me a black can of pepper spray.

"Yeah, sure, of course," I said. I grabbed my waffles as they finished in the toaster.

"Want some?" I offered the plate to Dad.

"No, thanks. I ate," he said. I nodded in agreement and poured syrup on them before sitting down.

"So, Emmett, yesterday asked me if it would be okay if he asked you to be his girlfriend," Dad said.

"He's the sweetest," I said, my heart melting a little.

"He really is a good kid, unlike most the other hell raisers in this town. Dr. and Mrs. Cullen are doing an amazing job of raising those kids," Dad said.

"Yeah, they really are," I said. "Um, he asked me to go up there today and meet his family. Like officially."

"Be my guest," Dad said. "I have to go to the station anyways."

"Alright. Be safe," I said. "I worry about you a lot, and I know you're going to tell me not to, but in this day and age, you're job isn't exactly what one would call safe."

"I know Lottie, but I work with a lot of good men," he said.

"I know Dad," I said.

"What time are you going to Emmett's?" Dad asked after a long pause in the conversation.

"About ten," I said. "Esme is looking forward to having someone else to cook for. Her children all have very specific tastes."

"Ah, they're fussy and she caters," Dad said.

"At least she cooks for them. Bella and I did all the cooking and cleaning. Even dinner at the diner every night is better than dinner with my mother," I said.

"You are very right there," he said. "I, however, have to go get dressed for work. I'm going to shower, so I'll see you tonight."

"I'll see you then," I agreed. I headed over to the fridge in search of some iced coffee, but we were out. I washed my plate before deciding to switch the laundry around.

As I was finishing up, a silver Jeep pulled up out front, making me smile. I slid my boots on as Emmett made his way to the door.

"Hi," I said, faking enthusiasm.

"Everything okay?" He asked, noticing the fakeness of my voice.

"We're out of iced coffee," I said.

"I can stop and get you one," he said.

"Emmett, it's okay, really," I said. Zeus was running around my feet happily. He seemed to really love Emmett and I.

"I've got it babe," he said. We left, and he stopped at the store for me, leading me in by our interlaced hands and buying me an iced coffee before we headed out to his house.