Chapter 16

Within an hour, we arrived outside Port Angeles at a dog training facility.

"What's this place?" I asked.

"They train K9s. Occasionally they have one fail. Like the puppy we're getting," Dad explained. I smiled at the building and got out of the Jeep. Emmett held his hand out to me, silently asking me to interlace our hands. I agreed, but not without noticing the extremely cold temperature of his skin.

Dad led us in the main doors and the secretary was waiting for us.

"We have this cute little husky named Zeus," she said, holding a puppy. "And a few others."

"He's so freaking cute," I said.

"He's the one then?" Dad asked.

"Isn't he the cutest?" I asked, looking between my dad and Emmett.

"Not nearly as cute as you," Emmett said, smiling a little.

I blushed at the compliment as Dad started grumbling.

"Ew gross, please refrain from flirting in front of me," he said. Emmett and I both laughed at him.

"I think he's the one," I said, holding the husky puppy and kissing his head. He seemed happy too.

"Awe, Lottie, thanks, but we're talking about the dog," Emmett said.

"You're the one missing out cause you won't grow up and ask me out," I said.

He childishly stuck his tongue out at me, causing me to return the gesture.

"Alright children, let's go," Dad said as I held Zeus close to me, snuggling him under my jacket.

"You're the cutest," I said in a sing-song voice, kissing Zeus on the head.

"How many times are you going to say that?" Emmett asked.

"Enough," I said smiling.

"I didn't know you were capable of smiling this much," Dad said as we walked out of the building.

"I told Mom ages ago that a doggo would solve all my problems," I said, shrugging a little as we reached the car. Dad popped the trunk, revealing the kennel that was too large for Zeus right now, but he'd grow into it.

"I guess," I said. I placed Zeus in the cage and he laid down instantly.

We all piled back into the car, and Dad hit a KFC drive thru on our way home. Emmett only took a water, which was starting to create a pattern in my head. I'd never seen him eat. Or most his siblings for that matter. Even though I'd spent lunch with them all week, I had yet to see any of them take a single bite.

I added that to the list of things that I needed to ask him about. I was sure he'd dismiss it as some special diet Esme had them all on.

I ate quietly as Dad drove and ate. Emmett sat quietly, his body completely still except for his breathing and blinking.

When we arrived home, Dad took the garbage, telling me to tend my dog.

"Our dog. We share him," I said.

"Right now, he's your responsibility," Dad said. Emmett chuckled a little as my Dad and I "argued".

I grabbed Zeus from his cage, carrying him into the house. He was already house trained and he listened to simple commands.

"Thanks for going today," I said to Emmett as we stood in the kitchen, shedding our shoes and jackets.

"You're very welcome," he said. "So, Esme wanted to know if you'd like to meet the rest of the family tomorrow."

"I'm sure that'd be fine," I said.

"Hey, Lottie, I'm really sorry to do this, but the Sheriff in Mason County needs my help," Dad said. He'd changed already and was securing his belt to his waist.

"Yeah, of course, go. I'll, uh, make food later on. I'm not going anywhere today," I said.

"Alright then. Bye Lottie, I love you," he said.

"I love you too Dad. Stay safe," I said. He nodded before leaving.