Chapter 35

On Christmas morning, Dad woke me up with coffee and cinnamon rolls. We ate together, sitting on the couch with just the lights on the tree on.

"Thanks again for breakfast," I said.

"You don't have to thank me so much," he said.

"Yes, I do. You didn't have to let me move here. I was a troublemaker to every degree of that word. I had a lot of issues. You could've said no. So, thank you for everything," I said. I motioned to the presents still wrapped under the tree.

"I love you Lottie. Of course I'd let you move in. You're amazing and you aren't the troublemaker everyone thought you were."

"Thanks," I said.

"Are you done being all sentimental? Cause you've got some presents over there to open," he said, standing up and taking the dishes out of my hand. I moved to sit on the floor by the tree, looking at the presents. When Dad returned, he sat down beside me.

We spent about an hour opening presents and cleaning up the wrapping paper. Zeus was beyond excited to rip through the paper that I had tried to pile up. Dad and I just laughed at him. Zeus eventually gave up and laid down in my lap.

I knew what most of my presents were because I had to go with Dad and help him buy them. A couple though, he bought himself without help. He got me some new guitar picks and other accessories for my guitar, a Nirvana sweatshirt that I'd talked about saving up for, and a few other things.

I went to thank my dad again when he cut me off. "Do not say thank you again."

"Okay, I won't," I said. Dad just chuckled at me a little.

We spent the rest of the day cooking way more food than two people could possibly eat and watching old Christmas movies.

All in all, it was a perfect Christmas. Bella even Skyped for about an hour that night so Dad could see her on Christmas as well.

The following day, Emmett, Alice, Jasper, and AJ came down to celebrate Christmas with us. Dad had to work the evening shift, but he left us money for pizzas and told us to have fun.

"Doesn't it get lonely with your dad at work so much?" AJ asked as we sat on the couch together. Alice and Jasper had left to get the pizzas and Emmett was making coco for me in the kitchen.

"A little, but Emmett is just a call away. Same with you and Bella. If I get lonely I just call someone," I said.

"Still, I'd be terrified to be alone," AJ said. I knew he didn't like to be alone anymore than he had to since he'd been hospitalized.

"Emmett helps," I said. "I haven't had suicidal thoughts since we were in the hospital."

"Saving Charlotte worked then," he joked. I smiled and rolled my eyes at him.

He'd convinced me to name the band Saving Charlotte because he said his only goal in life was to save mine once when we were in the hospital and he's stuck to it ever since. It had sort of become a joke that he wanted to see every good thing coming to me so now his life plan was to outlive me.

I guess if you believe in soulmates, AJ was mine.

Not in the same way Emmett is, but in a best friend way. AJ is hands down my best friend and one of the most important people in my life.

"It's too quiet in here," Emmett said as he walked in with two mugs nearly overflowing with marshmallows. He handed one to AJ before sitting down beside me.

"Just thinking about how blessed I am."

"I love you babe," Emmett said as he handed me the mug and kissed my temple.

"I love you too Em."

"Now I'm depressed," AJ joked.

"I love you too bestie," I said.

"I love you too Lottie," he said. We fell silent, watching the Christmas movie on the TV and waiting for Alice and Jasper to return with our dinner.