Chapter 48

It's been a week since Bella moved home and started school. It was also Edward's first day back. The day had gone pretty smoothly and Edward even talked to Bella a bit in bBiology, which I considered a win.

Bella and I were standing beside her truck, the wind was pretty chilly today because of the March air. We'd thrown our bags on the hood, and she kept looking over her shoulder at Edward. I turned a little catching a glimpse of Emmett, who was waiting for me. He was my ride home, but I'd walked Bella to her truck anyways.

We were discussing our plans for dinner when Tyler was getting ready to leave, pealing out of his parking spot.

"He's gonna kill someone," I muttered as he hit some ice, spinning his van, heading right for Bella and I.

I shoved her out of the way, attempting to move behind her. I slipped on some ice and knew I was done for.

Everything started moving in slow motion. I tried to push myself out of the way of the van, but the ice wasn't helping so I wasn't as successful as I needed to be. My right leg was still stretched out parallel to the truck as I tried to move.

Then everything sped up again and in an instant my right foot was smashed between the tires of the vehicles as Tyler's van collided with Bella's truck.

I screamed a few profanities as everyone crowded the van and truck, all calling 911 at once. I knew Dad would be here the second he heard that I was involved.

"My God, Lottie," Bella said, kneeling by me. I was laying down, my foot still pinned between the vehicle tires. Tyler was standing near us, apologizing repeatedly as blood flowed from a cut on his head.

"Get Em," I said as AJ ran up, he was on the phone, probably with Carlisle.

"He said to tell you he'll meet you there. Said he had to get Jasper out of here and you'd understand," AJ said, grabbing my hand as Tyler tried to apologize more.

"Hey Lottie, please talk to me," AJ said. I was in a ton of pain, which I was taking as a good thing because it had to mean the nerves weren't too damaged if I could still feel it.

"God AJ, it hurts. Tell them it's me. Carlisle is at work, right? He can fix it. Please AJ," I said, tears forming in my eyes. The tears had more to do with AJ making me talk than anything else.

"The ambulance is on the way Lottie," he said.

All I could think about was the unbearable pain in my leg and Emmett. I just wanted him here to comfort me. I wanted him to tell me it would be okay, and worse comes to worse, I wanted him to change me.

"Lottie, the ambulance is here," AJ said. "Bella is going to ride with you. Alice is taking me to meet Emmett. We'll be there ASAP."

The EMT took his place by my head, talking to me as the fire department moved the vehicles that were interfering with them helping me.

"Lottie, you're going to be okay," the EMT said. She must've talked to Bella or something to know to call me Lottie.

Within ten minutes I was in the ER. Dr. Cullen was by my side in a second, spewing orders at the nurses and other doctors.

"Carlisle," I said softly.

"It's just some broken bones and bruising. The surgeons can fix it Lottie," he said, placing his hand on my head.

"Tell Dad I love him," I said softly.

"You're going to be okay," he said.

"Emmett," I said.

"He'll be waiting. We're taking you into surgery," Carlisle said. A mask was placed over my mouth and nose and within seconds I was out.