Chapter 36

A few days later, I was on a plane to sunny Phoenix, Arizona. When I landed, I was instantly sweating in my hoodie and jeans. I'd been freezing when I got on the plane, but now I was desperately in need of a tank top. I don't know how I managed before.

Bella, Mom and Phil were all waiting for me. Bella hugged me the second she saw me which scared me because I was taking my phone off airplane mode.

"I've missed you Bella," I said, returning her hug.

"I missed you too," she said.

"No boyfriend?" Mom asked.

"Not this time," I said, hugging her.

"I can't wait to meet him. The way you talk about him, he just seems so perfect," she said. I nodded a little as I hugged Phil.

"Let's go get your bag and head home," he said. I agreed and we headed off towards baggage claim.

I texted Emmett that I'd arrived and was with my mom and sister. He seemed satisfied for now and told me to keep in touch with him. He worries about me more than he should, but I know it's because his world is incredibly dangerous, especially for a human.

"So in a few days, we're having a celebration of you being home," Bella said as Phil drove us home.

"Aka, Phil and I are going out for New Years and Bella is throwing a party. She thinks you're going to play."

"Bells," I said, dragging the nickname out. "Cmon my band mate and guitar are both in the Pacific Northwest right now. How am I supposed to play a gig?"

"You just are," she said.

"Bella, I don't have a guitar," I said.

"Fine," she said, pouting a little.

"Besides, I was sort of hoping for a New Year celebration like we used to do. You, me, way too much food, and televised concerts."

"Lottie we are in high school we need to have fun and go to parties," Bella said, pleading with me.

"Bella," I said. "If I wanted to party I would've stayed home. Emmett's sister is throwing a huge New Years Eve party."

"Why didn't you say something? I would've come up for that," she said. I couldn't quite tell if she was joking or not.

Bella had always been more popular than me, but she didn't start partying until Saving Charlotte was getting more popular. I'd drag her along to parties the band was playing, and she fell in love with the party scene. Since then it's kind of been a down hill slide.

When we got back to the house, it was getting pretty late, so Bella ordered Chinese takeout and we started watching Friends together. She chose the show, but I didn't care. I was finally with my twin sister again. Everything was so similar yet so different all at once.

"Earth to Lottie," Bella said, nudging my arm and motioning to my phone.

"I'm sorry," I said, standing up and walking down the hall before answering it.

"Hey," I said.

"Hey babe. I just wanted to check in," Emmett said.

"Thanks. It's pretty good. It's weird being here again though because it doesn't feel like home anymore," I said.

"Yeah," he said. "You talked to Bella yet?"

"No," I said. I had mentioned wanting to tell Bella that I got expelled because I was defending her, but I wasn't sure how to do it.

"Whatever you want to tell her, I'm here to support you one hundred percent."

"Thank Em," I said. "She's throwing a New Years Eve party and I don't want to go so this ought to be fun."

"You could've partied here with us," he said.

"That's what I told her," I said. "I'm still trying to talk her out of it."

"Alright babe," he said.

I could hear Bella at the door getting the food and paying for it.

"Dinner just got here babe. I love you."

"I love you too Lottie. I'll talk to you later," Emmett said. We hung up and I returned to the living room, sitting down next to my sister and digging in to dinner.