Chapter 45

The weekend flew by and before long it was Monday morning.

"Bells, do you want me to ride with you?" I asked her as she made breakfast. Dad and I were sitting at the table and Emmett was due to arrive any second.

"Um who else would you ride with?" She asked.

"Emmett," I said.

"It's fine. I can drive myself," she said. I nodded a little as Emmett's Jeep pulled up out front.

"Wouldn't have mattered anyway," Bella mumbled under her breath. I chose to ignore her as Emmett walked in.

"Good morning beautiful. Charlie," Emmett said. He seemed to take notice of Bella for the first time. "And to you Bella."

"Morning babe," I said, kissing his cheek as Bella sat the plates for Dad and I on the table.

"Emmett, I can make some more if you'd like," she offered. Good. At least she wasn't going to be rude to him.

"No thank you. Esme made pancakes this morning," Emmett said. His arm was wrapped across the back of my chair. We ate in silence for a few more minutes before Dad spoke up.

"So Emmett, how was the video game tournament yesterday?" He asked. Bella seemed uncomfortable with the casual conversation the three of us have grown accustomed to.

"Well, Lottie didn't come in dead last and I didn't win," Emmett said, chuckling a little.

"Who did you beat finally?" Dad asked.

"AJ, but I think it was thrown," I said. Emmett and my dad started chuckling at that.

"It was definitely thrown babe," Emmett said. I nodded a little as Bella stood up from the table once again.

"I'm going to head out. I've gotta get some paperwork done at the school," she said awkwardly.

"Do you want me to come with?" I asked. She shook her head no and grabbed her bag, leaving pretty quickly.

I finished up eating in silence. Dad seemed upset about Bella's attitude towards me and Emmett seemed to be noticing the environment in the kitchen.

"Dinner at the diner at 4?" I asked as Emmett and I threw our coats on to leave.

"Yes. Emmett, you are more than welcome to come," Dad said.

"Maybe once I win Bella over," Emmett said.

"Be nice to her today," Dad said, glaring at me a little.

"I will," I said, giggling as I headed out the door. Once we were safely in the warmth of the Jeep, I spoke up.

"You know eventually you will have to come to dinner at the diner with us," I said.

"I know, but Bella's obvious hatred towards me bought me some time," Emmett said as he held my left hand and drove.

It fell quiet again as the Saving Charlotte CD played through the Jeep's speakers.

The day flew by. Bella made some friends and ate lunch with them. I ate with AJ and Emmett like every other day. Edward was obviously tense about something.

"What's up with you Edweirdo?" I asked, pulling a hunk of bread off my sandwich and tossing it at him.

"Nothing," he said with a chuckle. I'd finally started to get him to lighten up around me, which is a miracle.

"Something," I said, rolling my eyes and leaning into Emmett some.

"Just your sisters new bestie Jessica," he said. I turned to look at my sister and sure enough she was looking at us as Jessica glared and continued gossiping.

"She running her mouth about us?" I asked suddenly.

"Us?" Rosalie asked.

"Yes, us," I said. The blonde softened her constant bitch face.

"Don't worry yourself about it," Emmett said.

"She's just jealous that you're dating Emmett and that no one here is good enough for me," Edward said. I smiled a little, glancing back at me sister one last time before Mason redirected the conversation and I was left eating as they discussed their next camping trip.