Chapter 11

"How was school?" Dad asked as I sat down at the table with him.

"Um, it was good. Made a few friends. Probably more enemies though. All anyone wanted to talk about was my previous expulsion. Only one person bothered to ask about it," I said.

"Who'd you meet?" He asked.

"Some kids looking for a lead singer for their band. Um, a girl named Alex and then two guys. One was Matt and one was Grant," I explained.

"I've had a few run-ins with them," he said. "I don't want you getting messed up in that crowd Lottie."

"I know Dad. I only agreed to play a little with them. Honestly, no one will even compare to Saving Charlotte," I said. He nodded, as if in understanding and it fell silent until the waitress took our orders.

"We keep eating like this, and I'm going to have to hit the gym again," I joked.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He asked.

"I boxed a little behind Mom's back in Pheonix. Might have to convert your basement into a home gym," I said, shrugging. "Might do you some good too old man."

He rolled his eyes at me but smiled to let me know that he wasn't upset with the jokes.

"Have, um, have you talked to any of your friends from Pheonix?" He asked.

"Yeah. AJ and I talk almost as much as Bella and I do," I said.

"And AJ is?" He asked.

"My best friend. He and I started Saving Charlotte together. We wrote all the music. He played the drums. I sang and played guitar and a little piano," I said.

"Did you two," he started to ask, but seemed to not know what words he wanted to use.

"Did we ever date?" I asked. He nodded.

"No, we didn't. We probably would've if we'd met somewhere other than where we did," I said, shrugging it off. Dad didn't question me further as our food arrived and we began to eat.

"Mm, Lottie, I was thinking," Dad said as we finished up dinner and he handed the waitress the money for the bill.

"What?" I asked.

"We should get a puppy," he said. "I've always wanted a dog, but figured it be too much work. With you around now though."

"Yes, I agree with that statement one hundred percent. I have always wanted a dog, but Mom wasn't too keen to the idea," I said.

"This weekend, we can head down to Port Angeles if you want," he said. I agreed instantly, now incredibly happy.

"I'll meet you at home in a few hours," Dad said. "Riley Biers went missing in Seattle three days ago. I told his parents I'd help."

"I'll probably just be Face timing AJ or something," I said.

Emmett's words from lunch rang in my head.

"Actually, would you care if I hung out with Emmett?" I asked.

"Just let me know what's going on," he said. We left, heading our separate ways. Before I even pulled out of the diner parking lot, I shot Emmett a text, asking what he was doing.

I smiled a little at the sun that was peeking through the clouds. I hoped it would stay nice for tomorrow and that I could maybe wear one of my seven million tank tops.

By the time I got home, I had two new texts, one from Emmett, saying that his parents decided they were going to enjoy the sunshine and go camping, and one from AJ. The later worried me more than just about anything.