Chapter 31

The next couple months passed quickly, and before I knew it, Dad and I were decorating for what would be my twin and I's first Christmas apart.

I came home from school one Friday afternoon to Dad standing outside, admiring his work on our exterior decorations.

"Dad, is it cool if Emmett hangs out for a while?" I asked, standing with Emmett next to his Jeep.

"Sure if he wants. I'm going to make some fish fries for dinner about 6 if you want to stay," Dad said.

"Esme and Carlisle want us home for dinner tonight. Something about family time since Carlisle has the evening off, but I can stay for a couple hours," Emmett lied with ease.

We headed inside and I took my bag to my room before returning to where my dad and Emmett were talking.

"So I planned on getting our tree put up tomorrow. I invited Emmett to help decorate if that's okay with you," Dad said.

"Yeah of course," I said.

"Want to watch a Christmas movie before we have dinner?" Dad suggested.

"Sounds good to me," Emmett said.

"Yeah, sure. I'm gonna make some Coco while you pick one out. Anyone else want any?"

"No thanks," Emmett said.

"Uh, no, I'm good," Dad said.

Dad headed to the living room to find a movie and Emmett and I stood in the kitchen making my Coco.

"I hate that I'm so much colder than you that you literally have to wear sweaters and drink Coco just to cuddle with me," he muttered lowly so my dad wouldn't hear.

"Someday we will be the same temperature babe. We both know that," I said, kissing his lips. "In the meantime, will you go grab my throw blanket from my bed?"

"Yeah," he said before taking off at a human speed to grab the blanket. I grabbed my mug and headed to the living room where Dad had a couple movies in front of him.

"Lottie, pick one," he said. "I don't know what you want to watch."

He had The Christmas Shoes, The Tangerine Bear, and The Christmas Card all sitting in front of him.

"Those are all drastically different, and I don't feel like crying, so The Tangerine Bear it is," I said.

I heard Emmett chuckle at me, causing me to turn around to face him.

"What?" He asked defensively.

"I don't appreciate being laughed at," I said, faking anger.

"My apologies," he said dramatically before sitting down on the couch and motioning for me to join. I handed him my mug so I could snuggle up under my blanket and get comfy as Dad started the movie. I pulled the sleeves of my black sweater into my hands before taking the mug from Emmett once again.

As the movie played, Dad fell asleep, leaving Emmett and I watching the cartoon.

"Why this one?" Emmett asked lowly.

"I don't know, nostalgia I guess. I've always loved this movie and I haven't had a Christmas here since I was 4. He probably just remembers me loving it then," I said. "I still do. It's a good movie."

"Yeah, I guess," he said. "I'm partial to things like White Christmas."

"Of course you would be," I joked before it fell silent again. Once the movie finished, I woke Dad up so we could start on dinner.

"I should probably head home," Emmett said as we sat at the table, helping my dad occasionally.

"Alright. I love you," I said.

"I love you too Princess. I'll see you tomorrow," he said, kissing my lips quickly.

"I'll see you tomorrow Charlie," he said as he slid his boots and jacket on.

"Yeah, we'll probably leave here about 11 to get the tree," Dad said. Emmett agreed to be here shortly before 11 and then he left. Dad and I continued to listen to Christmas music as he fried fish and made some french fries.

"Emmett, he's a good guy," Dad said as we ate dinner that night.

"Yeah, he is," I said, smiling slightly at the thought of him.

"He really makes you happy," Dad pointed out.

"Happier then I've been in a while," I said.

"Does he help?" Dad asked. I knew he was referring to my past mental health issues.

"With everything," I said, smiling at the thought of my soulmate.