Chapter 42

"Babe," I said after a few moments of the two of us just sitting on his bed in silence.

"What's up?" He asked, laying down across the bed.

"What else did you have planned?" I asked, laying down beside him.

"Well, we can watch cheesy romcoms or lay here and talk, or," he trailed off a little, brushing my hair out of my face and behind my ear.

"Or what Emmett?" I asked, giggling a little at him.

"Oh Lottie," he said. "I think you know the answer to that." I leaned closer to him and kissed his lips gently. He instantly shifted us so he was hovering over me.

We'd been making out for a few minutes when he suddenly froze and pulled away. He sat down on the edge of the bed and I sat up, moving closer to him.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

He clearly took a deep breath and blinked a few times.

"I want to Lottie. I really do, but I really don't want to hurt you," he said. He looked like he was on the brink of a breakdown.

"Em," I said. "It's okay. I trust you and your judgement. Okay? I'm not upset about this. If you don't think we can do this while I'm human we won't. We'll wait until I'm changed. We'll have forever then babe. It's okay to wait."

"You want to be changed?" He asked. Now that he'd mentioned it, it occurred to me that we'd never talked about it outright. I figured it went without saying that we wanted to spend an eternity together.

"Of course I do Em. If you'll let me be with you forever, I'd love nothing more," I said, leaning into his shoulder some.

"Of course I want you with me forever. I just always assumed you would want to carry on with the band and not have to give up people like Bella and Charlie."

"Music will always be a part of who I am, Saving Charlotte or not," I said. "As for Bella, well she hasn't exactly spoken to me in the most loving of terms recently. And Charlie, yeah it will be really hard to have to end my relationship with my dad, but sometimes we make sacrifices for those we care about."

"Lottie I love you," Emmett said, leaning over to kiss my lips quickly.

"I love you too Em," I said. "Come here." I pulled him into my arms, but he quickly readjusted us so I was in his lap and he buried his face in the crook of my neck.

"You're amazing Lottie," he whispered.

"Not nearly as amazing as you Emmett. Please love, talk to me if you're stressed about things, even sex," I said. "I get that it's supposed to be this taboo thing that you never talk about, but we need to communicate about everything if we're going to be together Em."

"I know Lottie. I just figured ya know, with everything I know about people in your generation, you'd freak out about me not wanting to have sex with you while you're still human," he said, rambling on and on about my generation.

"Stop saying it's my generation. You're making me feel like I'm dating some ancient being. I don't like it," I said, giggling at him.

"Well, I was born in 1915," he said.

"Stop oh god please. It makes you sound like a creep," I said, giggling some more.

"Yeah it does doesn't it?" He said, chuckling along with me.

After a few more minutes of us joking around, he suddenly got really serious.

"I never understood why everyone loved Valentine's Day so much," he said. "Now it makes so much sense."

"I love you Emmett. Thank you for a perfect Valentines Day," I said.

"I love you too Charlotte," he said, kissing my lips once more.

"Wanna watch a movie or something before I take you home?" He asked.

"Sure," I said and we settled in to watch 50 First Dates.

When Emmett was driving me home that night, I was more aware of the love I hold for him than I ever was before.

"Babe," Emmett said as he drove. Our hands were interlaced and I was smiling up a storm.

"Hmm," I responded, looking up to his face.

"Um, since ya know it's a special day and all, if you want to leave your window unlocked, I'll sneak in in a few hours after Charlie goes to sleep. He'll never know I'm there but I can hold you while you sleep," Emmett said.

"Yeah it's already unlocked so be my guest," I said.

He dropped me off, coming inside for a few minutes to say hello to my father. Before too long though, my father and I were both headed to bed.