Chapter 32

The next morning, I rolled out of bed and instantly headed downstairs to make myself coffee. As I was drinking it, Dad walked into the kitchen.

"What do you want for breakfast?" He asked.

"Omlettes?" I asked.

"Sure," he said and we set to work making the breakfast together.

After we ate we headed our separate ways to get ready. I dressed in a black pair of skinny jeans with a red and black Christmas sweater. I pulled on some fuzzy socks to keep my feet warm throughout the day. My hair was a bit of a mess so I did two Dutch braids and pulled a black beanie on over it. I applied minimal makeup and returned my necklace from Em to my neck.

I headed to the bathroom and finished my morning routine quickly before heading down to the couch. Dad was already sitting in the recliner with some news station playing. I sat on the couch, texting AJ and Emmett. Apparently Alice planned a big shopping day for all of us tomorrow and forgot to tell me.

"Hey Dad," I said softly, breaking the silence between us. "Alice has apparently planned like a shopping day for her, AJ, Jasper, Emmett, and I tomorrow. Is it okay if I go?"

"Yeah of course," he said. "Just be careful. The weather is supposed to get questionable tomorrow afternoon."

"Yeah, of course," I said. It fell silent again for only a few minutes until a silver Jeep pulled up out front. Within a few seconds there was a knock on the door before Emmett let himself in.

"Hello," Emmett said, standing behind me.

"Hey kid, let's get going," Dad said. I agreed and headed to the kitchen where my boots were waiting. I slid them on before pulling my winter jacket on as well.

"Where exactly are we getting this tree?" I asked.

"You'll see," Dad said before leading us both out to the woods behind his house.

"Your grandparents planted about 60 or so pines back here so that you and Bells would always have real Christmas trees. Of course, they both passed away while you two were still here," Dad explained as we all walked.

"That's really cool," I said.

"They haven't been touched in, oh, probably 13 years," Dad said. "Not since I last had y'all home for Christmas."

I could hear him trying not to cry so I walked to him and hugged him tightly.

"I love you Dad. I'm so happy I'm here."

"Thanks Lottie. I love you too," he said. "Let's get a tree."

We chose a tree together and Dad cut it down before he and Emmett hauled it back to the house and got it set up. The ornaments were already sitting in the living room in boxes so we started in decorating once it was set up. I turned on some Christmas music to listen to as we worked, but quickly realized that was a mistake as Mariah's Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" came on. Emmett immediately jumped into the most dramatic lip sync ever. I had to quit decorating as I continued to laugh at him. I grabbed my phone, recording it before sending the video clip to Alice. She'd appreciate it and share it with her family.

Before too long the tree was decorated and we'd hauled all the boxes back to the basement where they were stored.

As we sat around the tree, my dad's radio started going nuts. There's been a car accident.

"I'm sorry Lottie. I have to go," he said, rushing around.

"No it's fine. I'll stay with Alice tonight," I said, already know she'd wanted me to.

"Yeah, go for it. I love you. Be careful. I'll see you tomorrow," he said.

"I love you too," I replied.

"How'd you know I was supposed to convince you to stay tonight?" Emmett asked.

"Alice wants me to go shopping tomorrow," I replied as Emmett and I headed to my room to pack a bag before we headed out to his house, passing the accident on the way. It wasn't anything major, but it was enough to slow traffic down quite a bit.