【11】Donkey Kong

The tiny hairs on my neck and arms rose, and goosebumps appeared over the skin of my arm

The tiny hairs on my neck and arms rose, and goosebumps appeared over the skin of my arm. My name on his lips was something I would never get used to. I put down my phone instantly and turned around. Alexander was right behind me, directing yet another disappointed look at me.

He was holding a laptop between his thumb and fingers as if it was a weightless magazine and not a heavy Alienware of nearly ten pounds. My eyes lingered on the flexed muscles of his forearm, under a manly veil of thin dark hair. I noticed his hands were massive, the hard lines of the tendons and veins enhanced by the lighting of the room. Did everything about him have to be so masculine?

Looking back up, I met his eyes and saw that he was still waiting for my answer. I was a rather serious person regarding working hours, but I had to admit today had proven to be distracting. I had a good reason, though, but I doubted my intransigent boss would find my upcoming eviction to be a reasonable justification. Taking Oliver's advice, I decided to act nice.

"I am sorry. I'm done now, I'll get on with it," I complied. My unusual docility seemed to confuse him for an instant. Recomposing himself fast, he checked his watch.

"You will stay in for an extra twenty minutes, to compensate for the time you lost this morning," he instructed. It was only fair, so I didn't argue with him and put my phone away before getting on with my work.

As I faced my screen, I kept track of him in the corner of my eye. He went to his desk, right in my field of vision, to my right, and settled his laptop down. After he'd plugged it with a cable that was already there, he turned on his desktop computer. As I was about to focus back on work, he slipped on his glasses, and I bit my lip, turned on by the simple gesture.

Some people wore their IQs on their faces. Sometimes, a person's brilliance can be guessed by merely glimpsing at them. Alexander Coleman wore his intelligence very accurately. With one glimpse at him, it was abundantly clear that his mental skills were off the charts. Maybe it was the way he held himself, the assurance he let off, or the light I could guess behind his gray irises, but he looked smart, his wit undeniable. When his glasses were added to the mix, it pushed that reality even further, bringing him closer to the evil genius he seemed to channel.

Yeah, I was definitely growing sapiosexual.

Of course, I forgot to pretend to be working and straight-up gorged at the sight he offered. His lush lips were so tempting despite the stiff line they formed, I wondered what it would feel like to have them against mine. Surely, they would loosen and move in unison with mine. I looked down to his thick neck, his tendons and muscles disappearing under the collar of his plain anthracite shirt. Oh, how I wanted to know how the rest of him looked...

"Earth to Andy," Mason impatiently said next to me.

I spun around to face him, mortified to have been caught staring at our boss. Giving his half-amused, half-annoyed expression, he had been talking to me for a while. Oh God, how long had I been out of it? "Sorry, I got distracted," I apologized in a low voice.