The Outside

Concorp on tumblr (https://concorp.tumblr.com) inspired me. Nobody needs to accept this (everyone should), but the Child Scara au is so. Freakin'. Good.

Anyhoo, without further ado...

Life was good in Hermitville. Scara knew not to leave the bounds of the village, or zombies or worse would get her. But still, things got lonely. Scar was always off terraforming his home islands, and those were too dangerous for Scara to visit.

The epiphany happened one evening. Scara was poking around the illager church, when she realised she had never seen a single illager. She hadn't seen much of anything, in fact. So she made up her mind: she'd go exploring.

She slipped through the bamboo that plugged the hole Scar's rocket ship had left in the wall. Nobody knew the way through, but at least she knew halfway. The bamboo accepted her as a plant, just like it, so it mostly just got out of her way. As she looked out into the spruce forest that surrounded Hermitville, she smiled. So this is what unexplored lands looked like.

She ran through the forest, wind blowing through her leafy hair. She ran into a fox, and spent a good while chasing after it. And then she noticed it was getting cold. Looking at the sky, she saw the moon starting to rise. She started to head back home, before realising she didn't know the way.

She was lost. Scara suddenly realised the situation. She was lost, she was tired, she was alone, and she didn't know what to do. So she did the only thing a young plant-creature would do in this situation. She sat with her back against a tall spruce tree and cried.

And then an arrow thudded into the tree, right next to her ear. 

She stood up and ran from the skeleton, only to find a nest of zombies. They turned towards her, and began staggering in her vague direction. She turned once more, and ran. Just as she thought she was safe, she heard a hissing noise. And then a bang.

She hit the ground hard, several meters from the crater. She saw herself surrounded by a ring of pillagers, coming closer and closer. She drew her wand, or at least tried to. It was missing. She'd left her wand at home. A crossbow bolt whooshed past her, ripping her hat. She hissed at the pillagers, lashing out with a vine, but they just laughed, cutting it.

Out of plans, she did the only reasonable thing left. She screamed at the top of her lungs.

Meanwhile, in the skies above...

Scar flew wildly over the forest. Where was Scara? When he'd come back to an empty Hermitville, he'd assumed the worst, and was holding on to the slight chance that Scara was okay. But she'd left her wand. She never left her wand anywhere.

He was about to give up when he heard a terrified scream. Scar turned in the air, and dove towards where he'd heard it. He landed in a nearby tree, and surveyed the situation. There was Scara, surrounded by pillagers. She was obviously terrified, and in a lot of pain. Scar saw red.

With the passion and fury of a thousand Scars, he leapt down from the tree to defend Scara. He drew his sword, casting a spell on it as he fell. He stabbed at the pillagers nearest where he stood, casting a shield around Scara. He looked another pillager dead in the eye, and the whole patrol ran off.

Scar walked over to Scara, removing the protection spell. She hugged him, crying from relief and fear.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry..." She whispered.

"I know. It wasn't your fault. You're just curious." Scar handed Scara her wand as he spoke. "Look, how about I take you on a tour of the island... next week?"

Scar picked Scara up, and flew back to Hermitville. He tucked Scara in, and went to bed himself, completely worn out.

Okay, this AU is freakin' awesome, big shoutout to the original creator, this story can also be found on my tumblr (Pi0-Human), goodnight.

OdalRune, signing off from the past!