A Stable Loop

Have some fun as a palate-cleanser before a certain request I got from Realm is done. Also exploring the mechanics of time travel 'cause that's fun!

"You sure this will work?" Grian watched Ren- er, Renbob, try and mess up the machinery that locked the door.

"Of course it will, man! The power of peace can destroy any of Big Brother's technology!"

"...right..."

Surpringly for everyone involved, Renbob's fooling around actually solved something. The entire power in the facility went out. The good news is that this meant the two could force the door to the vault holding Grian's time machine. The bad news is that someone would be bound to notice, and trace, the problem.

They rushed through the door, forcing it shut behind them, before turning to see the object they were looking for. A crystal of quartz, a timepiece of sorts. Grian's time machine. It towered over them in its majesty.

"So what do we do with it?" Grian pointed out that they had no plan from this point.

"Stop the prank war, maybe?" Renbob suggested, shrugging lightly.

"Sure. How?"

"Let's just go really far back in time, and see what we can do!"

"Sounds like a plan!"

They stepped into the time machine, replacing Doc's artificial power core with a proper one, and activating the device. Soon the dials were turned, buttons were pressed, and they set off into spacetime.

I don't know what to call this, it's some sort of Time Skip, okay?

The duo stepped out of the time machine to a landscape that was only distantly familiar. Indeed, it was the battlefield before there had been any battles. Grian showed his watch to Renbob. It was connected to the world clock, and showed tat they were in late November 2018. Shortly before the events leading up to the prank war began.

"We can stop False winning the headhunt." Grian suggested.

"How do we do that?"

"I'll show you."

Grian led Ren to Iskall's base via the nether. Specifically, the treasure room. He explained the headhunt to Renbob, and that today was the day past Grian would be judging it. Grian had since found out an imposter was in Iskall's vault, and their job was to remove the imposter and paint Iskall in a good light, so False wouldn't get Grian's help on a prank and drag Grian into the war.

Renbob agreed, and said he'd keep watch on the outside while Grian checked inside for the imposter. However, when there was nobody there, Grian decided to wait for the imposter to come in. While waiting, he got bored, and started trying to do an Iskall impression. He even pulled out an Iskall head he had in his inventory.

Renbob, meanwhile, was starting to get concerned. Grian hadn't come out yet, and surely past Grian would be arriving any minute. Just as that thought passed through his head, in fact. Renbob hid, hoping that Grian had a plan.

Surprise, he didn't. Not as such, anyway. Iskall wasn't there when his past self came in, but thankfully Grian had an Iskall mask on. The conversation passed well, Grian's terrible Swedish accent somehow fooling the past Architech. When it was all over, and past Grian left, present Grian let out a sigh of relief.

He followed his past self out of the room some 5 minutes later, grinning as he swam up to Renbob. The two swam back to the surface, and rushed back to the time machine. As they got in, Grian turned to Renbob, beaming.

"There was no imposter! But there was no Iskall, either. But don't worry! I managed to fool my past self into thinking- Oh."

"Oh what?"

"I was the imposter. I was the imposter all along. I was the reason Iskall had beef with False and built the chicken."

"Well, if you hadn't, there might have been a paradox or something."

"Well, that's another case closed, I guess. Who impersonated Iskall during the head hunt? My time travelling future self."

"Well done, Grian. Well done."

The two chuckled as they landed, actually arriving in the bunker which they'd left. They opened the door, however, to a very disapproving Doc and Scar. And that was when they realised that this wasn't going to be easy. At all.

Yes, I just made the prank war even more complicated. No, I'm taking zero responsibility. Even without the time travel, y'all're gonna have to deal with the fact that one of the early factors, one of the causes of the chicken, was Grian's Iskall impression when judging the headhunt. If False had just been the clear winner, Iskall probably wouldn't have targeted her.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Cupra , signing off from the past!