Infection

This oneshot was requested by DreamerOfTheRealms. Yes, I am accepting requests, and have been for several months, it's just I'm not actively looking for them. Another thing to note about this chapter is that, unlike my other stories, there is respawn.

Squeak squeak.

The sound of bats always got on Iskall's nerves, but at least he could usually find the darned things. He searched the cave, and was about to give up and just find another area to mine when he spotted the creature.

It was curled up on the ground, twitching lightly. Iskall couldn't help but feel bad for the poor thing. He went to see what was wrong, gently turning it over. He let out a yelp of pain as it sunk its teeth into him. On second thought, maybe he should just put the bat out of its misery.

He went back to the surface, rubbing the wound. He'd need to bandage it up as a first course of action when he got home. Iskall was cleaning out the injury when Ren walked in.

"Ren," he spoke, a smile creeping onto his face. "I'm a vampire now!" He showed Ren the bite, grinning.

"Oh no!" Ren joked along with Iskall, smiling. "We're gonna have to buy you a fancy cape!"

"Well, I heard that Sahara has a sale on capes!"

"Oh really? Sounds fun!"

The two laughed, making vampire jokes at one another as Ren helped Iskall find a bandage to put on the bite, even trying to drag Doc in on the joke as he walked past. He shook his head, laughing with the other two. They certainly had a fun sense of humour.

Time snak- Time Skip! I meant to say Time Skip.

Ren hadn't seen Iskall all day. Concerned, he went to Iskall's last known location. Indeed, in the kitchen of Iskall's Hermitville... well, it couldn't be called a house... Iskall's Hermitville residence, Ren found the Swede in question resting his head on a block of ice. Iskall looked up at Ren, and sat up.

"What happened? You okay? Do you need-" Ren's inquires we're cut off by a pointed look from Iskall.

"I'm just feeling a little sick, that's all." Iskall swallowed, and stood up. "Look, I'll take my temperature, to show you I'm fine."

Iskall staggered over to a shulker to pull out a thermometer, wringing the hand where he'd been bitten, as it stung lightly. Before he could get what he needed, however, his headache overtook him, and he was forced to rest his head on the shulker box instead. Ren placed his hand against Iskall's forehead, quickly removing it as the temperature was almost uncomfortable.

"Iskall, you're boiling! You need to lie down!" Ren shook his head, helping Iskall to a bed.

I wrote all these Time Skips in the wrong order.

"Hey Iskall." Ren walked in, carefully carrying the glass of water. Iskall turned over, and groggily looked Ren in the eye.

"I'm not thirsty..." He mumbled, despite the fact that his voice was clearly raspy from dehydration.

"Iskall, you haven't had anything to drink since yesterday. If you don't have some water, you'll just get worse!" Ren tried to reason with Iskall, setting down the glass on Iskall's bedside table.

"I said I'M NOT THIRSTY!" Iskall snapped at Ren, his voice rising to a roar before he devolved into a coughing fit, and lay back down. "Sorry, I-I don't know where that came from." Iskall muttered, ashamed.

He sat up, and took a sip of the water, wincing as he forced it down his throat. He was about to put the glass down when the buzzing feeling in his hand vanished. In fact, all of the feeling in his arm vanished as he realised it had gone limp. He tried to move the arm, but to no avail. He looked at Ren with panicked eyes, and no words needed to be exchanged before Ren called for help.

Time Skip, due to unforeseen circumstances.

Doc went over the data from the scan again. They didn't make any sense. Iskall was showing symptoms of raibes, but he couldn't have it. There were no reported cases in animals on the Hermitcraft server, but it would still be wise to ask.

"Ren, was Iskall bitten by anything recently? Like, a wolf, or a fox, or a bat?"

"Actually, yeah. He was bitten by a bat a couple weeks ago. Why?"

"Oh no. I'm sorry Ren, but... that checks out with the scan, and the symptoms."

"What's wrong?"

"He has... he has raibes."

There was a silence so prevalent, a fly's footfall could be heard. The two went into the next room to break the news to one of their friends that he was about to die an agonising death.

"Iskall." Doc's tone was somber, reflecting the message he had to deliver.

"Whassit, Doc?" Iskall smiled at Doc, ignoring the pain. Doc would say he was okay.

"I'm sorry." Doc let out a deep sigh, "The next few days are going to be... painful. You have..." but Doc couldn't say it. Saying it would make it real. He took a deep, heavy breath. "You have raibes."

Iskall, to everyone's surprise, started chuckling. You see, he'd misheard Doc.

"Bees! I got bees! Bees of the mind!"

Doc and Ren glanced at each other, and sighed. It was too late. Their only option was to make every effort to ease the pain.

The power of snek is proud to bring you this Time Skip.

It was around sunset when it happened. Doc had been trying to relieve Ren of his watch, make him go get some sleep, but to no avail. Iskall's breathing abruptly became audible, a scan from Doc revealing an irregular heartbeat. Iskall only had minutes to live.

Ren took Iskall's hand, holding on to give Iskall some comfort. Soon enough, Iskall's breaths petered out, and he flatlined. He vanished, his items spilling across the room as the notification came up.

Iskall85 was slain by bat

Well, that was one way of putting it. Now to see if Iskall would respawn.

...Tomorrow! Because I was working on other projects today and this half alone is like 1000 words so I'm splitting the request in two.

OdalRune, signing off from the past!