The Potion (Part 1 of 5)

The potion crashed into my chest, glass shards digging into my skin.

Whoa! Let's reverse time skip from this prompt by HermittpadRecap!

When I woke up, something felt... wrong. Probably my heartbeat, echoing in my chest. I was still getting used to being alive again, through everything. I decided to go quickly walk off the nervous energy it filled me with.

I threw on my elytra and glided down from where I'd put my bed, briefly wondering what it would be like to have real wings. I pushed the thought out of my mind as I landed, taking a step forward to maintain my balance. Needless to say, I still stumbled, a fact which led me to chuckle to myself.

I took a quick stroll, eventually finding myself in the shopping district. I didn't have much money, not yet anyway, so I didn't buy anything. But still, I had a look around, checking out a few new shops that had popped up and seeing if some of the older ones had been restocked. It seemed I wasn't the only one in a restless mood, as I bumped into none other than Ren.

He'd been about to enter a new 'custom potion shop' and I agreed to go with him. We looked around at the various things on display, that had all sorts of effects (that Vex magic could do better) and generally fell into the 2 diamonds each price range.

But there was one potion, at the end of the room. It was different in several ways. For one, it was completely and entirely unlabeled, save for the price: 0 diamonds. I am proud to say that I recognised it as too good to be true. The same didn't apply to Ren. He fell for it hook, line and sinker.

He grabbed the bottle out of the chest and grinned at me, his subtle fangs gleaming in the lighting of the shop. He took the lid off, and was about to drink it when I realised I had to do something. I charged into him, yelling something about danger, and the potion went flying. I tried to catch it, but ended up slamming into the thing.

The potion crashed into my chest, glass shards digging into my skin.

Even though it didn't seem to be a splash potion, I seemed to be absorbing it. I lay back, awaiting whatever deadly effect it would have on me. But, to my surprise, nothing happened. I slowly sat up, and Ren offered me a hand to help me stand up.

I took it, and that's when we realised what the effect of the potion was. Because when I stood up, I couldn't let go. Our hands were beginning to fuse with each other. We both pulled desperately, but we were well and truly stuck. Ren and I looked at each other, in a way that suggested we needed to find help.

I hurried off, with no time to lose. I only realised that Ren and I had to stick together (hilarious choice of language there, I know) when he let out a yelp as he was dragged along.

"We're going to the only person who can help." I told him.

"Oh, Doc."

"What? No. Cub!"

"Area 77! Doc knows his way around the weird!"

"But this isn't just weird, it's weird magic, which is Cub's thing!"

"Well, Cub might be the one behind this."

"But he'd never hesitate to help a fellow Vex."

"We need to agree on someone to go to."

He waved our arms in the air as a point.

"Fine. We'll go to Cub, and then if he can't or won't help, we'll go to Doc."

"Deal."

And so we set off towards ConCorp, awkwardly trying to match each other's speeds. In a way, it was lucky that this mess happened early in the morning: nobody would see us fooling around like this, unable to agree on how to move.