New Recruit

One thing Iskall was definitely not expecting on a Tuesday was a mysterious letter from a redacted sender. He cautiously opened the envelope, half-expecting some kind of trap.

Very much to his suprise, the letter did not, in fact, blow up in his face or do any such thing. In fact, it did what a normal letter would do, and have words on it. Said words read something along these lines:

Dear Mr XXXXXXXX.

Upon consulting with XXX XXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX, we at Area 77 believe that you deserve a role at our establishment.

If you are willing to accept this offer, please meet XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX at the gate of Area 77 by Thursday.

Best wishes,
XXXXXX, head of XXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Of course, half of it was redacted. It was from Area 77, it had to be. Excited to be offered a position at one of the most secretive institutions in the entire server, he flew straight to Falsewell to sign up.

He was greeted by Scar, who let him in. Since he wasn't part of the Area 77 staff yet, he still had to go through standard procedures such as a search and being blindfolded around the site. However, he went along with it, because he was looking forward to what lay ahead.

When the blindfold was removed, he saw he was in an office of some sort. Scar and Doc sat across the table from him, almost staring him down in a way. It unsettled Iskall, but he went along.

"Now, we're not going to do any kind of long-winded interview like those dang hippies." Explained Doc, resting his hands on the table. "We just need you to make a few promises."

"I can do that." Iskall replied, trying to keep a formal tone and struggling to bury his excitement.

"Do you swear to protect the secrets of Area 77?"

"Yes, I do."

"Do you swear to never tell any outside party what we do here?"

"Yes, I do."

"Do you swear to do everything in your power to keep intruders out?"

"Yes, I do."

"Do you swear to uphold the cause of protecting the Hermitcraft server from alien and occult forces?"

"Yes, I do."

"Well then, welcome to the team, Iskall. Scar will give you a tour."

She whips off her tumblr anon sunglasses, smiling at you. She remarks it has been a while since she did a time skip like this, and proceeds to, well, skip time.

Ren sighed, resting his forehead on the Area 77 fence. His search for Renbob had been, thus far, fruitless. He sat back against the wall, watching the sun set. With Renbob and Tomato Yoshi gone, and Doc in charge of the other side, Ren felt isolated. All he had left was Iskall, after all.

Speak of the devil, a certain Swede's voice came out of nowhere.

"Hey Ren!"

Ren turned, and saw Iskall on the other side of the gate, grinning cheerily. Ren stood up, clutching the bars.

"Iskall! Did they capture you? Are you okay? What happened?" There was a study of panic in Ren's inquisitions, a terror throbbing in his eyes.

"Ren, it's fine! I got a job here!"

"You got a... What?" Ren's voice cracked with betrayal as he struggled to process what Iskall had just said.

"I got a job here. Is... Is something wrong?" He reached through the bars to hold Ren's hand, but Ren pulled back.

"You're all I had left." Ren's voice was barely above a whisper, cracking under the strain of holding back tears.

"... You're in the hippies." Iskall's voice dropped in the sudden realisation. "I'm sorry. If I'd have known..."

Iskall turned to hide the tears welling up in his human eye. He turned, and Ren turned away too. Iskall whispered another apology, and the two parted ways.

Skip Skop you're hit with a mop.

Ren pulled the pillow over his head, trying to block out the sound of Grian knocking on the RV door. It was wet with tears, unsurprising considering Ren had cried himself to sleep.

Eventually, Grian's incessant knocking drove Ren to open the door, still wrapped in his blankets. Grian stood there, faking a smile and holding two mugs of hot chocolate.

"I heard about Iskall. I figured you'd want this." Grian said, offering Ren a mug. Ren took it, and let Grian in.

The two sat in the RV, trying to distract each other from Iskall's betrayal. The closest either came to cracking a smile was when Grian accidentally spilled hot chocolate on his sweater.

Hehehe 777.
Sorry this is late, I've been kinda tired lately.
OdalRune, signing off from the past!