Friendly Rivals Only

The Architechs turned, and saw Scar sat under a tree, visibily shaking with something on his arm. The trio ran to see if he was alright, comforting him when they noticed he was holding back tears. He looked up, and smiled weakly when he saw they'd come back. Of course they wouldn't abandon him.

Iskall helped the Vex stand up, and looked over his arm. He shook his head sadly when he realised he couldn't do anything about it. Looking around, and figuring Cub could help, he looked Scar in the eye.

"Where's Cub?" He reiterated, almost sternly.

"That's the thing... I don't know." Scar replied, grief filling his throat. "I think he's..."

"Don't. He'd never do that to you."

Iskall pulled the Vex into a hug, trying to comfort him. Needless to say, it only sort of worked. Iskall helped Scar to a more comfortable seating place, and told Scar he was ready to listen. Scar nodded, swallowing the lump in his throat, and began to explain.

By the end, Iskall felt a lump in his throat from sympathy alone. He didn't know what Scar must be going through, but he had to help. The rivalry could... What was that phrase Mumbo'd used? The rivalry could go die in a hole. Scar seemed to want support, and by Herobrine Iskall would provide it.

Time Skip, thanks to the planning of an office design for Autocorrect, complete with a reluctantly-kept daisy!

Time seemed to slow down and speed up at the same time. Iskall tried to distract Scar, or help with the injuries, or do anything to make the Vex feel better. And then they were approached by a slightly-frantic Tango and... Cub? Scar leapt up and hugged his fellow Vex.

"You're alive... oh Vex you're alive." Scar whispered, smiling.

"I'm sorry... who are you?" Cub took a step back, holding his hand out defensively.

"I'm your friend, Scar! Don't you remember me?" Scar broke the hug, his smile faltering.

"I remember being friends with a Scar, but... nothing else." Cub explained, a twinge of apology in his voice.

Scar reached to hold Cub's hand, gasping to hold back tears that his friend wasn't fully back, and gasped when he found the hand was missing. Cub nodded sadly, and took Scar's hand with the other one.

"So... you're my friend, huh?"

Scar nodded, and began showing Cub around the complex he'd built, in an attempt to jog Cub's memory. The super smelter, the kelp farm, the vats, the board room. Cub tried to remember, but couldn't. He shook his head. Why couldn't he remember? What had he done wrong?

Scar took him to the Shopping District next, showing him all of ConCorp's businesses. Cub sighed. They were familiar, but he couldn't say how. He sat down outside of Fishy Business, head in his hands. Scar put his arm around Cub's shoulders, sitting down as well.

"I'm sorry, Scar... I'm sorry I can't be the Cub you know."

"I'm sure it's not your fault. Besides, who says you're not Cub, in a way?"

"But I'm not! As much as I can try, I can't be him! I can't be the friend you know!"

"But you can be! Sure, that Cub my be gone forever, but you, this new Cub, have a chance to be an even better friend!"

"I can't. I just... can't."

"Of course you can."

The two held hands, before Cub put the stump of his missing hand down. Scar waved his hand, making a temporary prosthetic appear. He tried to keep smiling as the burning spread further up his arm. But Cub noticed. He pointed it out.

"Yeah, I'm trying to figure out a way to stop it." Scar elaborated, scratching the back of his head. "Look, let's find Doc. He can make cybernetics, I'm sure he'll make you a better new hand."

"Thanks, Scar. There's a reason I think the old me like you so much. You're a good person."

"Good? I'm normal. True good is resisting evil. Like you do, every day. You're the good one."

And now we're getting to the fun bit! Since I'm not trapped in a writing challenge, my other arcs will get updated super frequently. Also, keep watch for Tuesdays. You never know what those things can bring.