𝒅𝒐𝒅𝒊𝒄𝒊

Maverick's POV

I don't know why I wanted to know how old she is. It felt like I was holding my breath waiting for her to tell me and when she did it felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I don't know why. Maybe because you like her. I laughed at my subconscious as I drove to school. Once I got to school, I walked to my locker and met up with Toby. As I was grabbing my books for AP Calculus, Toby asked, "Do you think Rachel likes me?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What kind of question is that? Of course she likes you."

She laughed. "I know that doofus. I mean...like me  like me."

"Ohhhhhh. Well, I think she does but the only way to know is to ask her."

She rolled her eyes and said, "I know, I know," as we walked to AP Calc.

We walked into Ms. Letterman's class and I sighed. Did we have homework?

____________________________________________

As soon as the bell rang I walked into the lunchroom. I spotted Alayah and our group and I walked over to the table. Once I sat down, Don asked me, "Are you trying out for the wide receiver position on the football team?"

"Yeah. You?" He shook his head no and said. "I'm the quarterback."

"So there aren't any tryouts for other positions on the team?"

"Nah all we need is a good wide receiver," he said stuffing a fry into his mouth. "Godspeed Allegretti."

"Thanks, Don."

Toby then said, "This silence is making me uncomfortable. Someone say something."

I rolled my eyes and chuckled at her. We started to talk again before the bell rang and we went to our last period. I walked Alayah to her locker then I walked her to her class and said goodbye.

____________________________________________

Class had finally ended and I walked to my car. I was driving home listening to monster by 21 Savage and smoking a cigarette. I had already gone through two so I made it a point to stop after this one.

As I was driving I saw a couple arguing in front of a Publix. I usually minded my own business but I kept looking at them. As they came into view, I could see them more clearly.

Rachel.

Confused as to what was going on I slowed down. They continued to argue when I saw him raise his hand to hit her. I jumped out of the car as fast as I could and caught his hand before he could touch her. I then proceeded to punch him at in the face.

"Maverick?"

"Rachel are you ok?! What the hell is going on?!"

"I'm ok," she said but her eyes were on her so-called "boyfriend" while he groaned on the floor like the bitch he was. She was wearing a Publix uniform so I drew the conclusion that she worked here.

"Rachel what's going on?! Who is this?! I thought you and Toby were a thing!" At the mention of Toby's name, the bitch on the floor stumbled onto his feet and said, "Who the fuck is Toby Rachel?!"

I punched the bitch again and this time he was out cold. "Maverick what the hell?! Are you trying to kill him?!" she said bending down to check his pulse. I rolled my eyes. "If I wanted to kill him he'd be dead, trust. And why do you even care about this piece of shit?! If he's willing to raise his hand at you then he's not worth your damn time Rach!"