𝒕𝒓𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒂

Maverick's POV

I looked over at Alayah and saw she was asleep. Thank God. After what happened tonight I'm glad she could find some peace. I just kept replaying what I saw in my head and felt myself get angrier and angrier.

I couldn't quite put my finger on who Giuseppe was or where I knew him from until a moment ago. Giuseppe was one of the Bianchi's soldiers. I knew him from the countless amount of meetings my father forced me to go to. Giuseppe was one of Cristifano's soldiers who's purpose was to monitor my father and his activity in America—Chicago specifically.

I couldn't shake the unsettling feeling that Giuseppe had targeted Alayah to get to me. Deep down I knew getting close to her wouldn't do either of us any good but I still stupidly got attached. Giuseppe will most likely tell Cristifano what's happened once he comes to. I made a mental note to call Dimitri when I get home to handle him.

Cristifano's going to know my family got to Giuseppe if he was dead or alive but letting him live was never an option. I'm going to make sure he dies by my hand.

I could not sound more like my father.

I scoffed at the thought. I just thank God I made it there in time because Lord knows what would've happened. It's all my fault.

I knew she was in that room because of what I did. I saw a tear run down her cheek when she saw me and Patricia. I scolded myself for doing that. I was driving back to my house to avoid her from getting into trouble. I hope she didn't mind. I don't think she cares.

Sighing, I pulled into my driveway and picked her up bridal style. She was still sound asleep and snuggled closer to me when I pulled her out into the cold night air.

I fucking hated myself. This is all my fault. All my fault. I sighed again and started walking towards the front door. I walked inside and to one of the guest rooms and laided her down, took her shoes off, and pulled the blanket over her.

I was about to close the door when I heard her say, "Stay," in a soft voice almost like a low whisper.

I sighed under my breath and walked to the other side of the bed, took off my shoes, and laid down next to her. I pulled her to me and buried my face in her neck and listened to her soft snores.

Fuck.

_________________________

I woke up to find the bed empty. I sat up and looked around the room but she was no where to be found. I checked my phone and it was 7:30 in the morning. I looked through my messages but there were none from Alayah.

I yawned and walked to my room when I heard laughing coming from my kitchen. I walked to the kitchen confused and found my mom and Alayah cracking up cooking.

"Did I miss something?" I asked walking into the kitchen.

They both looked at me like a deer caught in headlights. They laughed and continued to do whatever they were doing.

I walked over to them and stood behind Alayah and wrapped my hands around her waist and laid my head on her shoulder.

"Whatchu doin'?"

"Making empanadas with your mom," she said walking out of my embrace. Damn.

"I deserved that..." I said trailing off while scratching my neck.

"Tuh." She continued to stuff the empanada dough with meat.

"You're in our way Gio!" my mom said and pushed past me with a pan of empanadas in her hands to get to the stove. "Ok ok," I said with my hands up in surrender.