Chapter 18

"Wenrie! Try to catch up and don't get lost!" I shouted at her, my head turned to her direction as we tried to avoid any oncoming titan.

Taking a sharp turn towards an alley, we stopped when a titan came into view. It doesn't seem to have noticed us but was much more interested at a woman that is trapped beneath some fallen debris and wood.

"Eren! Mikasa!" She called out as tears fell down to her cheeks. The two kids she mentioned were being carried away by the arms of a Garrison soldier.

Soon, the titan, who seemed to have that disgusting smile on its face, took her out from the fallen debris and snapped her into two to like she was some kind of a twig. She was then eaten and we had to turn and run away as it had seen us after its 'meal'.

"I know that woman," Wenrie spoke once we were out of view from the smiling titan. "Her name was Carla Jeager."

I didn't speak. I just didn't want to as I thought about Carla not deserving to die as she left her kids behind who also didn't deserve to lose her.

As time passed by, it seemed more like hours as we had been running for the past 5 minutes and we still weren't anywhere near the gate.

Along the way, we helped people from their deaths but some were eaten by titans as we were too late.

Many houses are also destroyed and blocked some paths that leads a shortcut to the gate, so we took the long way instead.

We then stopped at a house that was still in one piece and hid somewhere near the kitchen, far out from any windows that can spot us easily from a passing titan.

"Life's really unfair, huh?" Wenrie closed her eyes as she tried not to think about the deaths that we had seen.

"Mhm."

She slowly leaned against the wall and opened her eyes, looking up from the ceiling.

"Mom." I blurted out.

"Well, that's new." She chuckled as she turned her head and smiled at me.

"I just want to try it out. You and Ed have been wanting to call you guys that so, why not,"

"I wish Ed is here to hear you say that."

"We should go. They might close the-" But I was cut off when a giant hand cracked open the roof of the house we were in and a titan's head peeked through to see us with its bulging eyes.

"Why does every titan see to find us so easily?!" What Wenrie had just said was true. Ever since the breaching of gate Shiganshina, titans have been finding us after a minute or two we came to rest or stop at a deserted place.

She immediately hooked herself up its elbow and neared its nape. Once she killed it, we zipped through the air when we spotted Ed swiftly slicing through three titan's napes.

"Ed!" Wenrie called out to him who was now three feet away from us.

"Plue! Wenrie! I'm so glad you're okay!" He came running towards us with his arms spread wide.

"Dad.." I whispered to his ear which Wenrie seemed to have heard it too.

"She also called me 'Mom' a while ago." She held me by my shoulder and pulled me towards her.

"You finally have the courage to say it." Ed smiled as he stroked my cheek with his free hand.

"Its not that I didn't have the courage to say it. Its just that it doesn't seem fair to the other people who calls you Commander and Ma'am."

"You call us by our names."

"Well, that's different." I looked away and I heard them laugh from my response. But when I saw two titans come our away after informing them, their laughter died down and faced the oncoming titans.

"Damn these titans. They just don't know when to stop eating." I heard Ed cursed once I ran towards the taller one and spin towards its nape, making a deep cut.

Ed later killed the other titan when we heard Wenrie shout at us. "More titans are coming this way!"

*a few minutes later*

"There's too many of them and I'm already out of gas!" Ed huffed out as he landed on top of a roof beside both me and Wenrie. He took and his chipped blades and replaced them with a new one which are the last pair from his scabbard.

Me and Wenrie are in the same situation as him.

"Plue, that necklace seem to be glowing ever since we were here." Wenrie pointed at the key on my chest and I noticed it was glowing a little. It couldn't have been due to the sunlight.

"I don't know.. I haven't felt anything in the past few minutes." I shrugged and she just dropped the topic off.

"Where are even the reinforcements?!" Ed complained.

He was about to say more things but he was suddenly grabbed by a titan. No, a deviant. 

And he was already bitten in two before he could do anything.

"No!! Ed!!" Wenrie screamed and I just stood there, not able to move my body when...