Chapter 24

"Plue.." A voice called out for me in the vast darkness. It was distant, soft and calm like it was trying to reach out for me.

"Who's there?" I asked, wondering whether the voice had heard me or not. 

"Plue.." It called out again. This time, it sounded nearer.

'"Show yourself!" I demanded, my voice echoing. 

Then, I felt a strong wind that came from my right like it was sucking me up like a vortex. I turned my head to see where it came from when I saw a girl standing from the distance. 

The girl was wearing a white dress, somehow similar to the one I wore when I first came to the Scouting Legion. I couldn't make out her face as her hair was covering it up, including the darkness.

Suddenly, it appeared right infront of me and spoke;

"Don't ever join any expeditions." 

I woke up, my hand placed over my chest as fragments of the nightmare I had slowly drift away. The last words of the girl I dreamt only remained, repeating over and over again. 'Don't ever join any expeditions'. 

Interrupting me away from my thoughts, someone knocked and entered my room without permission.

"Oh, you're already awake." It was Petra. "I was about to wake you up."

"Well, I guess I already am." I said as I hopped off my bed and changed out of my clothes and wore my uniform.

"Erwin sent me to wake all the superiors as he wanted to have a meeting in his office regarding about the up coming expedition." She explained while she walked over to my bed and fixed the covers.

"Thanks though." I wore my knee length boots and swiftly tied my hair into a messy ponytail. After that, we headed out of my room.

Marsel and Hanji were also heading towards Erwin's office. The both of us caught up with them.

"Has Petra already informed you?" Hanji asked while she stifled a yawn.

"Yep." I replied. Once we had arrived, Levi and Mike were already inside, waiting for us to start.

"Thank you, Petra." Erwin said to her and she bowed. When she was out of earshot, he started explaining things about the expedition. "We won't need the whole legion but only us for this one. The information that I'm about to tell you is too much to even spread to the soldiers. I also can't let the other branches know about this, yet.

"When a hundred of us went for an expedition on the fall of District Shiganshina, we went to a forest that was far from the places we've mainly had been. And in there lies a titan that isn't just any kind of titan." He said.

"So, an abnormal?" Hanji's face lit up into a curious smile.

"Maybe." 

"What's it like?" Marsel asked.

"It might've been an abnormal but it's just too intelligent to be like one. We also couldn't get even a scratch to it as its flesh is just too thick, like it wore an armour. Heading immediately towards its nape is also a bad idea as it can easily grab you from behind. That's why many of us died that day." He sighed.

"Abnormal, intelligent.." I mumbled. "Is it like the Colossal Titan?"

He raised on of his eyebrows at me. "Why do you say so?"

"Well," I started, "the Colossal Titan couldn't have just breached the gate easily unless it knows what it was doing which means that it could be also intelligent."  But I stopped, thinking that something else was missing. "Do you know anything else about it?"

"According to one of the reports from our fallen soldier, he was trying to get closer to its nape while two other soldiers were distracting it. When he was about to slice the nape, it suddenly ran away from them. Chasing after it, it made sharp right turn then another and eventually, they had lost sight of it. Searching around the place where they had last seen it, they found flesh and bones that was still emitting smoke from it. Later on, it re-appeared from behind and killed them on the spot." He read from on of the papers he got from a folder. 

Thinking about the things he had just said, I mentally placed the pieces together when I finally got the 'picture'. "This may sound insane but if my prediction right, there might be some humans that can turn into a titan. The two titans act like they're humans but ruthless. I'd call them as titan shifters. 

No one spoke for awhile as they let my words sink in. I added. "I don't know how it came to so suddenly."

Then Hanji spoke, "Titan shifters, huh? That's just scary."

"Mhm," Marsel agreed with her. "What if there are actually humans that can turn into titans, and then after that they'd devour us one by one inside these walls without us even knowing they actually are one?"

"That's more scarier." Hanji shivered, imagining what Marsel had just said, then turned towards the quiet guys. "What about the both of you? One of you could be a titan shifter." She joked.

Levi tsked and Mike did one of his signature sniffs. "Shut up, shitty glasses. If I was even a shifter I'd be the first to devour you."

"That's just cute." I mumbled but he seemed to have heard as I earned a menacing glare from him. "Anyway, it's just a prediction and it can be proven wrong at any time."

"How did you even came up with that kind of prediction?" Erwin asked me.

"I'm not really sure myself. It just, came to me I guess." I shrugged and he eyed me suspiciously. "Seriously."

He sighed and placed both of his palms onto the his desk. "Okay, here's what we're gonna do." 

*on the day of the expedition*

We trotted up the streets heading to Wall Maria. It was nearing nighttime and only a few citizens had came to see us off. The rest of the Scouting Legion soldiers remained at the HQ.

When the gate was slowly starting to open, we got ourselves ready, holding the rains of our horses tight.

This time, Erwin didn't shout but just leaded us out of the gate. The on lookers didn't cheer on us either. 

Looking at the wrecked district of Shiganshina, it brought back memories of that faithful day. I felt a pang of pain but soon disappeared as I fought it off. 

Avoiding any titans that came to us, we quickly galloped outside of the breached gate and out into the outside world.