Chapter 28

Year 847

Hanji's POV

Raising the spear up high, I charged at the chained titan and stabbed at its huge eye. Its blood squirted from different places but mostly to me. The titan didn't do anything as if it hadn't felt the spear piercing through its eye at all. I pulled the spear back and smoke emitted from its eye, regenerating.

"Why aren't you crying in pain?" I asked it even though I knew it wouldn't answer. Going over to its other eye, I stabbed at it forcefully. This time, it howled in pain. "Why do you even eat our kind?" I raised my voice a little along with the titan's cries. Tears started forming from my eyes but it wasn't because of the titan. Pushing the spear deeper, more blood stained my uniform and slowly started to disappear from smoke. "You fucking bastards!"

"Squad Leader Hanji," One of my squad members, Moblit, tried to stop me but I just pushed him away.

"This titan can fucking regenerate!" I screamed while stabbing at another area; the throat. The titan's cries reduced and it sounded hoarse. "Oh it actually affects your way of speaking, huh?" Tears fell and trailed down past my cheeks. "You're not fucking human!!"

"Hanji, that's enough." A cold, stoic voice called for me. He yanked my arm away from the spear I was holding on to and did the same with the other. "It's no use asking that titan even though it can speak." Levi pulled the spear away from its throat and threw it at one side. "You've been torturing it for a week. I doubt you even learned some thing from it."

"It can't speak, Levi." I knelt down while watching the titan regenerate through blurry eyes. "It just shouts and screams."

Levi sighed and ordered Moblit to kill the captured specimen. Hearing all of my subordinates scampering around, clearing up the place, I bowed my head and felt hopeless. Ever since that failed expedition we superiors went to and Plue's new found condition of being in coma, I now had a different perspective of how I used to see the titans. I wasn't my usual enthusiastic self when I'm around them. I didn't even feel like doing experiments or researches about them. The titan that I have been stabbing earlier wasn't even my idea to experiment on. It was Erwin's.

"Hanji," I lifted up my head to look at Levi. I hadn't even realize that my glasses had fogged up and now, I can't clearly make out his face. "Tsk. Stop crying." He knelt down in front of me and took out my glasses to clean it. "You should get some rest too. I don't think you've ever slept for the past few days."

He placed back my cleaned glasses and helped me stood up. "How is Plue?" I asked him while walked back to the HQ.

"She's still the same." He replied.

No one spoke for a while. Soldiers walked to and fro, during their jobs smoothly but, it was too quiet and everyone looked miserable. Walking up to a set of stairs, to where the barracks were, we met Petra along the way.

"Oh Hanji, Levi," She greeted us with a forced smile. "I was just about to look for the both of you."

"What is it?" I asked her.

"It's Plue and, I think you should check for yourselves."

Plue's POV

"Why is my necklace turned black?" I asked my 'twin' who was watching the scene beside me.

"That necklace is actually my whole being, except my soul which is placed within you." She said. "It's turning black because my body is somehow fusing with yours, joining with your empty vessel."

"Fusing?" I looked at her, confused.

"You could say 'taking over your body' but it is a slow process."