milkshakes and brownies//g.d

AN// TRIGGER WARNING: mentions of suicide :( also, this one's based off of a scene in the movie the perks of being a wallflower, which is my favorite movie, it makes me cry every time

(y/n pov)

You walked down to the basement sighing. You internally groaned at the thought of helping your brother clean up the mess of the party the next morning. Your brother was throwing yet another party at your house as your parents were out, and as much as you loved the kid, you hated his parties.

You made your way down to the basement and smiled at the little mess. You walked over to the kitchen to grab the empty chip bowl as you saw someone lying on the floor. Concerned, you walked over, realizing that it was Grayson Dolan.

Grayson was in the year above you but you'd seen him around. He was a friend of your brother's and he knew you too. You walked to him and stood over his still body. His eyes were wide open and he was staring at the ceiling lights.

"Grayson?" You called. He looked to you and smiled a hazy grin.

"Yo," He said. His eyes were starry as he went back to the lights. "The stars are pretty," He said. You chuckled as you realized what was going on.

"Are you high Grayson?" You asked, kneeling down. He looked at you.

"I'm on the ground, I'm low, actually." He stated matter-of-factly. You shook your head smiling.

"Come on, let's get you up," You said. You pulled on his arm, but he refused to get up. "Grayson, you can't lie on the floor."

"I want a milkshake." He said. You nodded.

"Get up and I'll make you a milkshake." You said. He slowly got up, and you let him to the counter. Getting up on the counter, he leaned his head on the cupboard as you pulled out the ice cream from the freezer. "Did you eat one of those brownies?" You asked as he looked around at the almost empty basement.

"It was quite the snack, can you make me another one?" He said. You chuckled, shaking your head.

"Another day, Grayson. I'm making you a milkshake right now," You said, as you pulled the blender. He eyed you and you continued to make his milkshake. "Is this your first time high?" You asked, already knowing the answer.

"Me and my twin brother were never really into parties, you know?" You nodded, blending the ice cream and milk together.

"And where's your brother tonight?" You asked. You poured the concoction into a glass. You went over to find a straw as you head Grayson speak.

"Oh, he shot himself last May." You dropped the fork you were holding as you looked back at him.

He kicked his feet against the counter and you made your way over. "Grayson." You whispered. You put a hand on his knee, and he looked over to you. "I'm sorry." You whispered.

"It's all good, dude," You shook your head. He grabbed the straw from your hand and put it in the drink, not even bothering with whipped cream. "Want some?" You shook your head no as he drank it.

You stood in shock as you watched him drink the milkshake. You cleaned up slowly, still processing what Grayson had just said. You looked over at him often as he drank his milkshake, trying to get every drop. He seemed so unbothered. You figured it was the weed and sighed to yourself. "Done?" You asked, as he nodded and handed the empty glass to you.

"You seem sad," He said. You gave him a small smile as you washed his glass. "Do you need a hug?" He jumped off the counter and wrapped his arms around you as you washed his glass. Your breath hitched in your throat as you felt his head on your shoulder.

"Grayson." You sighed. He sighed too, and you felt it against your neck.

"Can I have a hug too?" You wiped your hands on a paper towel. "I feel kinda sad." He said. You turned around and wrapped your arms around his large frame. You nestled your head into his neck and you felt his chin on your head.

"Better?" You asked, pulling away from his grip. He nodded. "I had no idea about your brother," You whispered. He shrugged and looked away.

"I didn't exactly announce it when we moved here," He said. You sighed and put a hand on his shoulder. You'd never really talked to Grayson before, but right now, you felt like you'd known him forever. "I need a new best friend though, you up for the job?" You gave him a sad smile.

"Sure," You said. He smiled at you and stared down at you. "Does this mean I have to make you more milkshakes?" You asked. He nodded.

"And brownies!" He shouted. You winced at how loud his voice was. He softened. "Did I scare you, I'm sorry," He said, frowning. You shook your head,

"No, you didn't." You said. He nodded. "But we could go to that diner around the corner, to get brownies and milkshakes." You said. He grinned.

"Are you asking me on a date?" He asked. Your eyes widened.

"No, I j-just meant it was a g-good place for mil-milkshakes." You stuttered. He put a hand on your shoulder.

"It's okay because I was going to ask you on a date." He said. Your eyes widened.

"I thought you wanted to be best friends?" You asked. You smiled. He smiled too, nodding his head.

"Who said my girlfriend can't be my best friend?" You grinned and blushed.

"I guess you're right." You whispered. You felt his arms wrap around you and you melted into him.

"But you won't replace Ethan." He whispered into your hair. You looked up and gave him a sad smile.

"Never," You whispered.