getting by//e.d

AN// so this one's based off the movie the cinderella man. we had to watch it for history once and it was really good, and my friend had an idea so i just went for it? but basically, if you haven't watched it: it takes place during the great depression (1930s-ish?) and it was like a world wild economic crisis. many people were super poor, no money, families barely getting by, that sort of thing. so i hope you like this one? i dont know, i thought it would be fun to write. but two things, i obviously didn't write like how they talked back then, and it doesn't really make sense that gray and e are twins in this one? just more like best friends. that's all- hope you like xx

(third person pov)

"Hi," He whispered, walking in. He leaned in and pressed a kiss to her lips. He handed y/n the little wad he'd managed to make. She frowned at it. "I'm sorry," He whispered.

"Don't worry," She whispered as he pulled her into a hug, holding her close. She rested her head on his chest.

"Are they asleep?" She nodded and started up the little fireplace. He sighed as he sat down. Y/N brushed off her dress and sat before him. "How was your day?" She smiled.

"I should be asking you." He shook his head. Y/N looked away. "They're shutting our electricity off." They were both quiet until she looked back at him. He let out a breath, eyes closing.

"Fuck." Y/N placed a hand on his knee. "Won't be long until the water's gone too, then."

"Don't say that," Y/N whispered, squeezing his knee. "We'll make it work."

"How, y/n?" Y/N closed her eyes for a moment.

"Rosie's really sick," Y/N whispered. He looked over at the kids, sleeping peacefully, bundled up together. "Won't stop coughing."

"Has she been eating?" Y/N nodded.

"As much as I can affor-"

"Give her more."

"But Ronald, baby." Ethan's eyes shut. "We'll figure something ou-"

"Daddy?" E turned. "Daddy!" Rosie scrambled up and walked over to him, arms up. He smiled, pulling her into his lap.

"Hi, angel," He whispered, kissing her head. She coughed into her elbow. Y/N smiled.

"Ready for some more med-"

"No, mama, no," The three-year-old whispered. Y/N sighed, standing up to get it anyway. "Mama no," She called after her mother. Y/N gave her a smile.

"Hey, Rosie, angel," Ethan whispered, sitting her on his lap properly, trying to get attention. "Why'd you get up?"

"Hungry, daddy," She mumbled into his shoulder as y/n walked over. She frowned. "Please, mama?"

"You have to." Rosie sighed and opened her mouth. Ethan rubbed her back as she swallowed the yucky medicine and winced. "Good girl," Y/N said, kissing her head.

"Yuck."

"But now you're gonna feel all better," Ethan said. She turned in his lap to hug him. He rubbed her back and she reached up to kiss his cheek.

"Want some milk, daddy," She mumbled. Ethan smiled, standing with her on his hip. Y/N frowned.

"Honey, there-"

"Sh, we want some milk, don't we?" Rosie nodded.

He pulled some out from the fridge and poured some into a little cup. And then in a glass for him. He stood her on the counter and they clinked glasses. Y/N sighed as she watched E's face scrunch up as he took a sip. She shook her head at him and he waited for Rosie to finish.