~TWENTY TWO~

The music playing softly in the background is barely heard

The music playing softly in the background is barely heard. My elbows rest on the bar counter, head low. I drown everything out except for her words. "I need space! I need time to think!"

I sneer, gripping the shot glass in my hand, and quickly placed it to my mouth and tipped it back. The burn is long gone, the previous shots have numbed it completely. I've lost count of how many I've had.

This is why I didn't get close to anyone. I'm only seen as Caine Heart's son. That's all I'll ever fucking be!!!

Slamming the shot glass down on the bar top, I picture her sweet face. "Why did you leave me? Why did you tell me you love me, then walk the fuck away?" I whispered. I ran my hands through my messy hair, going over the hurt in her eyes. Letting out a defeated breath, "Fuck, I'm sorry."

"She needs time Damien." I hear from beside me as I feel her sit down, "Two more of whatever he's had." Kaye tells the lady serving behind the bar.

"This is big for her Damien. You have to understand, she met you just over a month ago, and she's fallen hard for you."

I don't look up from the bar top, but I snort at her saying that. Fallen hard? Yeah, maybe fell when she ran away.

"What, you doubt her feelings?" Kaye questions as she begins to chuckle. I grit my teeth. "If she truly loved me, she wouldn't have left. She would have tried to work this shit out." I grumble out, my voice slightly slurred.

She laughs. "I'm going to tell you something, and hope it helps." She begins, taking a shot of the liquor the lady placed in front of her. "If you think she doesn't love you, then you're a fucking idiot." I turn my head slowly and raise a brow. "Really? That's supposed to help me?" I scoff. Is this girl high?

"This girl, I've known for all my life was so into DJ, God, since she was twelve or thirteen. That guy finally admits to her that he's into her, but since you've walked into her goddamn life," she paused and I look at her. She hands me the shot glass full of jack, "She's wanted you so much more than him. At first she fought against her feelings for you. She didn't want to be broken, and let's face it big guy," she laughs bitterly, "You know she was right. But let me add to that." She holds up the shot glass to the lady again. She lets out a sigh once she fills the glass for her. She tips it back and then slams it down.

"I saw how you looked at her from the very moment I met you. It's similar to how Cole looks at me when he thinks I can't see. I saw how you defended her with Josh and now with Mikey. I know you love her. So, if I'm right, then give her a few days. If she gets away from the hurt, away from the pressure, she'll come back. I know her. Trust me, Damien, you'll be thanking me soon enough." She laughs.

"You know, you're not so bad, doll." I chuckle and wink at her. "Call me doll again, and I'll rip your balls off." She says smiling while giving me a wink back. I burst out laughing. I think Cole did well with this one. She's good even though she may annoy the hell out of me.
She cares for this family.