~TWENTY EIGHT~

I stand by the front door and watch Damien slip out the back door with Cole

I stand by the front door and watch Damien slip out the back door with Cole. I'm not always sure what someone might be thinking or feeling but I do know that when I walked in earlier and looked into Damien's eyes, something was wrong. He looked at me with sadness. My instincts are telling me that he's going to leave. Why? Does he not want me to stand by him? Does he not trust me with family secrets?

I force the tears back and run into my room. As soon as I flip the lights on, my eyes land on a man sitting comfortably on my bed. I open my mouth to scream but a hand curls around my mouth from behind me, muffling it.

Whoever has my mouth covered, quickly restrains me with his arm. I jerk my body, but I stop after a few minutes realizing it's not getting me anywhere. I stare at the older man as he puffs the cigar, amusement written all over his face. "If you're finished, we can get down to business." He laughs. "I only want to talk." He ensures.

I squint, taking in his features. Holy fuck! It's Damien's father, Caine Heart! "Johnny, you can uncover her mouth." He orders looking behind me. He lets go of my mouth and I gasp for air. "It's very nice to officially meet you, Miss. Johnson." He smiles, and it takes everything in me not to spit in the fucker's face.

"I know you have feelings for my son, so I know you want what's best for him, correct?" He asks, taking a few puffs from the cigar. The smell isn't the best, so I hold my breath when he blows the smoke at me.

I nod, "Of course." He smiles again.

His eyes are captivating like Damien's, except they're a dark blue surrounded by crow's feet. "I need my son home. He needs to take his position as the head of his family, what he's been training his whole life to do." He enlightens.

"What can I do? I honestly don't know what he's planning to do." I admit, frowning.

"I think I know something that will have him at my dinner table by tomorrow night." He chuckles.

"If you come with me to Louisiana and I leave a note letting him know that you're home where he should be, he'll happily come willingly." He squints slightly as he reads my reaction. Sensing my fear and doubt he sighs. "If I wanted to kill you, I would've had Johnny slit your throat the moment you walked through that door. I'm not here for that sweet girl. I need my son to come home and from the reports I've received, he's been stuck to you like glue. I can see why. Now, are you going to help him and his family? Will you come willingly, or do I need to kill you now and force him home, even if that means beating him until he's unable to speak or move?" Caine asks, flicking his wrist as he glances at his expensive watch impatiently.

I nod slowly, letting out a soft sob. My body weakens as I feel Johnny let go of me. "No need to cry, my dear. Don't you see it? You're helping him and his family by coming, so you should be smiling. You're my hero." He sarcastically laughs as he stands, adjusting his jacket.