~TWENTY SEVEN~

I grab a bottle along with two glasses and step out back to the patio and let out a long and deep breath

I grab a bottle along with two glasses and step out back to the patio and let out a long and deep breath. I need to speak with Cole alone, and what I need to tell him is not going to be easy to say. I know what I need to do and even though it's not going to be easy, far from it, it's what's best for Ray.

It's odd for me to worry and have this fierce need inside of me for anyone other than the men back home. Aside from my mother, I've stayed clear of love because of the bastard who's likely planning something to ensure I come home. I'm sure Nick's gut feeling is right. He will hurt her to get back at me. I still can't believe he's got eyes on me. Why haven't I noticed any of this? I'm positive it's because I've been so wrapped up in denying my pull towards Ray, I allowed my guard to come down. I'm a fucking idiot and I refuse to allow Ray, her family, and friends to pay the price.

"What's up?" Cole asks as I pour us both a glass of Kaye's grandmother's antique bottle of bourbon. I found it when I was going crazy while Ray was gone. I hand him the glass as I stare out towards the ocean.

The moon's soft glow reflects on the ocean's surface and soothes my mind as I watch it shimmer with each movement of the waves. "I need to talk to you about something that was recently brought to my attention. That guy in the kitchen," I point to the kitchen window, as I slightly turn, "he's from New Orleans." I pause, allowing Cole to grasp who Nick is. I turn back facing the water.

"What's he doing here?" Cole asks, he sounds confused and guarded.

That's why I know I can count on him to help get a plan going. Even though he's confused he's got the gut instinct I need to teach the others to have back home.

"He's a trusted friend, and he's come to give me a heads up. Caine wants me home, and he wants Nick to do whatever he needs to do to make that happen." I explain.

"I don't understand," Cole admits, his voice weary.

"I need your help, that's what it boils down to." I turn and face him. "I told you I love your sister. I'm not going to sit here and lie to you, but she's the first person I've ever wanted more with. I'm twenty-three years old and I'm madly in love." I snort. "I'm so fucking stupid. I allowed my guard down" I shake my head, taking a sip and letting the burn of the expensive alcohol fill my mouth, slowly letting it slide down my throat.

"What the fuck is going on?" Cole asks, finally letting my words connect.

"I'm not completely sure, but Caine knows about her, and you guys. I'm positive if I don't go back and take over as he wishes, he'll come after her, and possibly you." I admit.

He blinks several times, I'm sure from shock. "I have a solid plan, but I'm in love with Ray and I'll die before I allow him or anyone else near her." I let out a heavy breath, turning towards the ocean again. I feel the air touch my skin, a nice brisk breeze coming from the ocean. I inhale, smelling the salt water, and swig the remaining liquor from the glass. I promised her I'd protect her, and this is the only way I'll know she's out of danger.