~TWENTY SIX~

Walking inside the small bar just down the road from the beach house was a lot easier than I thought it would be

Walking inside the small bar just down the road from the beach house was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I've been in my head since leaving the house after Damien and I had told the others we were going out.

I knew Damien was far from a saint when I accepted his past and family. I would be an idiot if I did. Damien is Caine Hearts' son, the next in line to lead the famous 'Bayou Mafia' who is known for their dealings in organized crimes. I've never paid too close attention to the stories on the news or rumors about the family. That's probably why I never made the connection with Damien's last name. There are hundreds of miles between New Orleans and our small country town in North Carolina, so why would most of us care very much?

I'm terrified of what his friend has to say. Not fear as in fear of my life but fear for Damien's. While I was gone this past week, I researched mafia details. What's true or false about his family is still unknown. I do remember reading that you can't leave the family. I had hoped it was another myth because Damien was still alive and he said he'd left. I almost fainted when he told me it was true.

My fear is he won't go back not because he doesn't want to but because he's afraid I'll leave. I'd rather he stay alive than risk his life to please me. So, if standing by him means he keeps breathing then that's what I'll do. Would he want me beside him? Would he be allowed to be with someone who's on the outside? Things to think about once we're back at the house.

Walking closer to the bar, I notice a blonde-haired man in a suit with his back to us. I'm assuming this is his friend. The man sticks out like a sore thumb.

"Nick," Damien says as we reach the man in the suit. The man named Nick twirls around in his stool with a bright smile on his face as he looks at Damien.

Holy shit! I can't deny, this man is gorgeous. His clear blue eyes are breathtaking. Sharp jawline lightly covered with thick stubble. His smile is sexy, and from the way he looks, he's cocksure of himself. Of course, he's muscular, not as big as Damien but well fit. Even though he's in an expensive suit, you can tell he's not tiny, that's for sure.

Nick stands, "Damien." He says grabbing him for a hug. "It's been a while." He laughs patting his back as he pulls away looking at him. I feel Damien pull me beside him, and my heart just about leaps out of my chest.

His eyes fall to mine, and his smile falters just a fraction. "Ray, this is the friend I told you about, Nick." He introduces. "Nick this is Ray." He smiles at Nick. I feel like a weird object being examined as he stares at me. I'm positive my cheeks are fire engine red judging by how hot they feel.

"You're even sexier up close." He chuckles.

Oh, for fucks sake! Wait, up close? "Up close, what does that mean? You've seen me at a distance?" I asked. I hear Damien laugh, making me look up to him. "What's so funny?" I ask, confused.