【15】NAM-MOT-AAA-AAA

The guys spun around at once, to face our audibly angry boss

The guys spun around at once, to face our audibly angry boss. I found the strength to not look away, hoping they would explain the situation for me.

Mason was the first to explain. "Some bad bitch action."

"Andy is about to beat Nammota's score!" Brian chimed in.

There was a moment of silence, and I wished I could have seen Alexander's face. I had no idea if he was impressed, angry, unphased, about to fire my ass...

"Does she have to do it during work hours?" he eventually asked, and from the tone, he was definitely angry. Oh, shit.

"She started early during the lunch break," Oliver intervened. "She hasn't died since. But she said she'd catch up all week for the lost time."

"This isn't some nice democracy, where each and everyone can do as they please," our boss clarified. "If we all acted like this, it would be chaos. You work during work hours, and you relax during your breaks. This machine was bought to entertain you, not distract you. If you can't make the difference, it will be removed."

I couldn't stop. I was so close! Three thousand more points and I would move up to third place. Hoping that the guys would manage to give me a few extra seconds, I kept playing.

The small hairs on my arms rose, and I felt Alexander's closeness before I even saw him next to me. "You have five seconds to let go of the commands before I fire you," he ordered with a threatening voice.

It didn't even take half a second for me to make my decision. I released the game instantly and moved two steps back, still looking at the screen. With a broken heart, I watched as Mario died. Two thousand more points and I would have made it.

My score blinked for a moment, and the name screen arrived. Because there was no input for a few seconds, the game registered my score under 'AAA'. Now, the leaderboard wrote 'NAM-MOT-AAA-AAA'.

The resentment in my eyes couldn't be missed when I looked at Alexander. He gave me one of his warning glares, defying me to say something, to fight his authority. When I didn't, he turned to the guys, his eyes dark with anger. "Everyone gets back to work. Except you," he added, looking right at me.

They hesitantly complied, but Oliver stayed, ready to defend me. "Lex, she really was going to work extra time next week to make up for it."

"I don't care," our boss answered, still looking at me. I held his gaze, fueling my strength in the loathing I felt for the man. "If it can reassure you, I won't fire her," he told Oliver, not breaking eye contact. Since Oli didn't seem to want to go, Alexander clenched his jaw. "Tell your loverboy to go."

He was now trying to intimidate me, which only exacerbated the fire in me. I narrowed my eyes, resisting the urge to slap him and get rid of his obnoxious scowl. For the sake of Oliver, I held back and turned to my friend. "It's okay, Oli. I can handle it," I promised. He hesitated, his eyes going from me to our boss, and when I nodded, he finally complied and went back to our office.