【23】Corner office

The million-dollar bomb Alexander had just dropped on me left me speechless for a moment

The million-dollar bomb Alexander had just dropped on me left me speechless for a moment. My mind was incapable of forming sentences, too busy with the massive influx of thoughts that suddenly invaded it. My app was possibly worth a shitload of money. A million dollars.

Either he didn't notice my dismay or he didn't care, but he continued his explanation. "Although yours is well-advanced, it still isn't done, so its value is a fraction of that. Furthermore, you are a single individual, not a company, so once more, the price lessens."

Still hung up on the million, I wasn't registering everything he was saying. He noticed and snapped his fingers in front of my face. "Focus, Andrea, I'll only tell you this once. I have to check the extent of your work, but given what I've seen, the price you will ask should range between two to three hundred," he concluded.

Utterly shocked, I stared at him with a questioning glance. "Two to three hundred... grands?" I asked after a moment, needing to make certain there wasn't any confusion.

He didn't even answer me, looking at me as if he doubted my intelligence for a second instead. "I can help you determine the exact value of your work if you want. I'll be the one assessing it anyway if the sale ever happens."

What the— Was I about to become substantially wealthier? Goodbye, pre-cooked meals, hello deliveries! Dolla dolla bill y'all!

Slowly but surely, I was understanding what all this meant. If I managed to sell my app, I would be able to pay off my student loan, and still have a very comfortable amount of money on the side for rainy days. I would also be able to buy new cars for my parents, as theirs were old, and probably entitled them to loyalty cards at their local garage.

It was all so crazy. I wasn't materialistic, I'd never wanted to become rich, but having all this money at once felt like a blessing from the gods. Of course, I had always wanted to have enough wealth to live comfortably, to not have to struggle at the end of every month, to be able to afford a trip now and then, to have the insurance I would never end up in the streets... The fact that I hadn't seen this coming felt like I was winning the lottery with a ticket I hadn't even bought.

And all of this was thanks to this man. I observed him while he patiently waited for me to process all this. I didn't know why he'd been so honest about it. Anyone would have tried to lower the price to their advantage or try to scam me. Hell, I would have been grateful for fifty thousand. But no, he insisted on the actual value of my work.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked, wanting to understand his sudden benevolence.

"Doing what?"

"Being honest. I mean, you could have told me pretty much any number, I wouldn't have known better. Why would you be willing to spend so much?"

His stern expression turned into a slight wince as he leaned back on the backrest of his chair, crossing his arms over his chest. I tried to ignore how his bulging muscles stretched the fabric of his shirt, making his impressive physique even more stunning, but obviously failed.