(Fat Beatles) Fighting Diet Culture

Huge shout out to @GorgingGeorge for the idea behind this next story!

(Imagine this as being in the modern era, it'll make sense throughout the story)

WARNING: The theme of fat-shaming will be lightly touched on, as John did experience it in real life

It was 2019, when the Beatles were all given a modelling deal in the Liverpool Modelling Agency. Brian has been asked by that same company to allow the Beatles to take part in their campaign to promote all body sizes. Paul was especially excited at the idea of doing some modelling for a change.

"Whoop whoop! I'm so glad I get to show off my beautiful booty!"

"You and your ass!" George teased. "Not everyone can do this y'know!" Paul laughed while rolling his eyes at that comment.

"Not to mention, many more people have that kind of ass, if not bigger," Ringo deadpanned. "And you don't see them showing off like this, do ya?" At that comment, Paul pretended to get mad and play fight with him.

While this was happening, John was reading a newspaper article, looking really forlorn about something one particular article said about him. Paul and Brian quickly picked up on his mood, and the former walked over to get John to open up about how he was feeling. It turns out that a reporter for Elle Magazine has written an article which highlights why John needed to lose weight in order to appeal to more girls. As John appeared increasingly downcast talking about that article, Paul instinctively hugged his best friend who had by then begun sobbing, reassuring him that his looks didn't make a difference on how the others viewed him.

"How can I face the press *sniff*? Do people take this kind of stuff seriously?" John whimpered.

"Honestly, stuff the press!" Ringo and George called out, having eavesdropped on the situation. "The people who wrote that article are probably just retarded lowlifes who don't know what to do with their lives!"

"John... You know we're asked to do some modelling, right?" Brian asked. John nodded, to which Brian replied:

"I think partaking in this modelling gig will help you feel better about this piece of Elle Magazine crap..."

"How though?"

"Just think about it," Paul interjected. "If Elle Magazine is calling you fat, then you can use this platform of modelling to promote all kinds of bodies! That'll be the perfect clap back, I'm sure of it!"

"Sure I guess... But I'm not sure I want to do it alone though..."

"That's ok my dude! We'll join along with you!"

And so a few days later, when the time came to model, all the lads chose to model the plus size catalogue, and to prepare for the roles, they ate the foods that was set out for them, and they happened to be very fattening. It wasn't very long before they have all blimped up for their modelling gig, and surprisingly, John wasn't feeling so self-conscious about his size anymore since the other lads were in the same boat as him.

"I feel so much better about this already! Thank you lads, and stuff Elle Magazine!"

"We're glad we can be there for you Johnny! Now let's get out there and blow up this popsicle stand of a beauty standard!" George and Paul exclaimed.

And so the Beatle models went out into the catwalk, mesmerizing all their fans with their bold stands for the body positivity movement, as well as their statement against unrealistic beauty standards set up by Elle Magazine and other fashion magazines that echoed its sentiment. John felt that while doing this that he was speaking for other people who struggle with body image, and he felt that he was really beginning to make a difference in the lives of these people.

(Author's Note: Now the ending might seem humorous, but in all seriousness, John's struggle with body image after he was dubbed 'The Fat Beatle' in 1965 really resonated with me, as I myself have struggled with fat jokes at 16. So for any of you who have face fat jokes or are struggling with body image issues, PLEASE don't starve yourself just to please the beauty standards of society. You are all beautiful just the way you are. Until next time, much love xx)