【28】Blondie

As expected, the rest of the week was spent in uncomfortable tension at work

Lex and I rarely interacted, but it was still hard to ignore his presence, so close I could touch him if I wanted. Thank God the desk was large enough so we weren't overlapping each other's space, and our legs had no chance of accidentally touching.

My lunches were spent with the guys, and like a helpless princess enslaved by Bowser, I'd go back up afterward, to spend the afternoon in my very own dungeon. Oh, how I longed for an Italian plumber to come and rescue me...

Despite the constant distraction, I managed to work on what Lex had given me. My scripts were now clean and easy to follow, and any of the guys downstairs could work on it without an issue. For his part, Lex had managed to dig up a lot of old scripts that could turn out to be useful.

By Friday morning, I was out of things to do, so as soon as I arrived, I asked Lex if there was anything else I could help with.

"I have found the most recent scripts we had come up with for the sentence building algorithm," he declared, removing his glasses and turning to me. "I'm not sure what would be redundant with your work, so maybe it's best if you take a look at it."

It was something that I really liked about working with him, and frankly, not a thing I'd expected. Although he had a natural inclination toward taking charge and being in control, he'd been remarkably respectful of my aptitudes and wisdom regarding this project. I was the lead on this, and while he supervised and weighed on decisions, he never hesitated to give me some responsibilities. Instead of stubbornly assuming he knew best, he acknowledged some tasks were better suited for me. It made sense since it was my app, but I was still a junior employee, so this was quite gratifying.

Agreeing with his assessment of what should be done next, I got straight to it. I indeed found a few useful blocks of code and some clever things I hadn't thought of. The scripts were clean and well organized, but now and then, a line seemed out of place. At first, I discarded it, thinking whoever had come up with the scripts probably had a good reason to do so, but the regularity of those interjections made me feel like there was something to it. They were in every script of this folder, and there had to be some explanation.

Because I loved puzzles and never refused a challenge, I put aside my task and focused solely on those strange lines. After twenty minutes of working on it, finding them, and pasting them in a new script, I had a much better vision of what they were. I had been right. All the extra lines, when put together in a specific order, formed an entirely new script.

I checked over my screen, to make sure Lex was still concentrated on whatever he was doing and tried to run the script. My screens became entirely black, and massive, white capital letters appeared to form a word. Or rather, an alias.

NAMMOTA

"Holy sh—smokes," I let out, unable to hold back my surprise.

Lex heard, and his head popped up over my screen. "What is it?" he asked, his eyes scanning me from behind his glasses.