2 4

𝖆𝖈𝖙 𝖙𝖜𝖔, 𝖘𝖈𝖊𝖓𝖊 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞 𝖋𝖔𝖚𝖗

THE DAY BEFORE DEPARTURE
___________________________________

Zoe glanced around eagerly in hopes that Courtney would come strolling into the ice cream shop, but she didn't. Zoe gave up looking and decided to speak to her friends who were actually there.

"So you're from the Ukraine?" Katherine asked.

"I grew up here, but every year we go over there to visit my moms family," Zoe said.

"You're half Ukrainian?" Lindsey asked. Zoe nodded

"That's so cool!" Katherine giggled. "I'm gonna miss you," Katherine said, hugging her friend from the side.

"I'll miss you guys too," Zoe replied, smiling at them.

A sight in the distance caught Zoe's eye and she stopped listening to the conversations being had at the table before her. Zoe watched as Courtney reached up to give Brandon a kiss. She grew confused and felt betrayed. Why would Courtney be with Brandon after everything he did to Zoe?

Zoe watched as they began to walk in the direction of the ice cream store. Courtney and Zoe made eye contact, and Courtney could tell from the look in her eyes that she had seen everything.

Katherine noticed the brunette girl staring at something and she followed her glare to see a boy and a girl walking towards them. Katherine glanced at Zoe and noticed how angry she was.

The couple stopped behind the table. Billy felt someone standing behind him and glanced over his shoulder, only to find Brandon.

Billy stood up. "Billy, sit," Zoe said, grabbing his hand. Billy glanced over at Zoe and sat back down.

"I'm sorry, he insisted on coming," Courtney sighed, looking down at her feet.

"Everyone this Courtney and Brandon, who isn't invited," Zoe said, throwing him a fake smile. Brandon rolled his eyes.

"This is the Brandon?" Katherine asked. "Girl, you let him break you heart?" she chuckled.

"I know, so silly of me," Zoe replied. Courtney pursed her lips as the two of them sat down. "Sloppy seconds, I guess," Zoe shrugged, smiling at Courtney. Courtney ignored her comment and glanced at Brandon, he was staring at Zoe.

"Eyes on your own girl, Earl," Billy spat. Brandon looked away from Zoe and back to Courtney who was glaring at him. He smiled at her and kissed her forehead. Zoe remembered when he use to do that to her after she caught him staring at other girls.

The table had an awkward silence lingering over it and Zoe was about to explode at the couple sitting at the end of the table. She had so many questions and she needed answers.

"This is awkward," Jesse said, glancing down at his ice cream. Lindsey nodded in agreement.

"It's not that bad Jesse," Katherine said, smiling at the boy. "Imagine how poor Zoe must be feeling, her supposed best friend is dating her cheating ex boyfriend," Katherine explained, shaking her head in disgust.

Courtney glared at the blonde girl sitting right by her. Brandon took this as his time to check Katherine out. Katherine noticed his staring eyes and smiled at him.

"Whatcha looking at?" Katherine asked. Brandon quickly looked away.

"I see nothing has changed," Zoe chuckled down at Brandon. "Still checking out other girls while you have a girlfriend," Zoe said.

"Oh we're not dating," Brandon corrected. Zoe furrowed her eyebrows. "I have to find a way to dump Lilly before we can actually start dating, she's psycho," Brandon said, chuckling.

Zoe, Katherine and Lindsey's jaw dropped. "So you're cheating on Lilly, and you are aware of this, and you don't care? Both of you don't care?" Zoe asked.

Brandon shrugged while Courtney remained silent. Zoe scoffed, shaking her head and looking away from the couple. "Unbelievable," Zoe said. "I wanna go home," Zoe looked at Billy. He nodded at her and together they both stood up.

"I'm sorry, Zoe," Courtney said, standing up also. "I really am, but you know what it's like to be in love with someone you shouldn't," Courtney whispered. Zoe glanced at her and then glanced away.

Katherine, Jesse and Lindsey had also stood up by this time as Billy was also their ride home. Zoe collected her things and slid out of the booth.

Courtney sighed, "safe trip, have fun in the Ukraine."

Zoe took one last glanced at her old best friends. She shook her head and walked off, sliding her hand into Billy's for comfort. Billy gave her small hand a light squeeze to let her know she would be okay.

Courtney turned to Brandon, tears in her eyes. She had ruined everything, she had a chance to get her best friend back and she stuffed up. Zoe and Courtney were no more. "This is why I wanted you to stay home!" Courtney yelled, running away from the boy.

They arrived at Zoe's house after dropping everyone home and bidding them her final goodbye for 3 weeks. Zoe was upset that her lunch party went so sour within a few minutes. Why would Courtney even invite him?

"Stay with me for a while?" Zoe asked, frowning at the boy. Tears were evident in her eyes.

"Alright, but I have to be home soon," Billy replied. They both hopped out of his car and he made sure to lock it.

The two of them walked into Zoe's house and over to the couch, no one was home right now as her father was at work. Zoe turned the tv on and they both began watching the random movie on the screen.

Zoe curled up next to Billy until he had to leave her. They both shared many kisses and he made sure Zoe was okay before he left.

Zoe was stood by his car as he unlocked it. "I'm going to miss you so much," Zoe sighed, hugging him tight.

"I'll miss you too, Zoe," Billy replied, hugging her back. "Listen Zoe, maybe while you're in the Ukraine you could think about us becoming official?" Billy suggested.

Zoe felt her stomach do backflips. "Of course," she smiled. "I'll think about it," she said, but she already knew her answer.

"Great, I will too," Billy said. "See you soon," Billy and Zoe shared their last kiss before he jumped into his car. Billy winked at her before he sped off.

Zoe smiled, skipping inside and up to her room. She fell backwards into her bed and let out a sigh. Zoe was happy, Billy wanted to be her boyfriend when she returned! Zoe couldn't believe it.