eight: secrets

"Prince Taehyung Kim of Saphia..." Dramatic pause. "Has returned!" a guard announced, his voice amplifying and sounding through the entire palace front. Everyone from the village had gathered up to see alleged return of the lost prince. Everyone had been in a stir ever since the post came up.

Taehyung gulped, feeling frozen. He felt a little nudge at his elbow, making him turn his head to the side to see Jeongguk give him a reassuring smile. Taehyung returned the smile, breathed in and out one more time then opened the doors, exposing him to the world.

The crowd was silent other than the murmurs here and there. Taehyung cleared his throat and stepped up to the edge. Namjoon had given him some kind of voice booster potion to make him sound more professional and loud.

"Hello, people of Saphia. I would like to properly introduce myself to you. I am Taehyung Kim, son of Jaewon and Mira Kim. I hope you will all graciously accept my arrival," he said as he had been taught, and bowed. The crowed was still  silent, looking at him as if he was an alien. He continued on with the speech, the potion really helped him not stutter.

"...And I promise, for as long as I live, I will protect Saphia and it's future, like my father had once before!" Taehyung finally ended. It was quiet for another moment before cheers erupted.

This is what the people had been waiting for ever since the unfortunate death of the King Jaewon. A light of hope. A saviour. Especially when danger's still out there. The people needed this now more than ever with the shield weakening. No one even wanted to let the question of if it could be the actual descendant or not come into their mind.

Taehyung smiled and waved back at the little children jumping up and down. He didn't expect this to be so simple. The guard announced him again, meaning it was time for Taehyung to head back inside. Just as he did, the villagers all took a bow. At that very moment, Taehyung felt a sense of responsibility wash through him. This was his people, his kingdom, and it was his responsibility to make sure nothing happened to it. It was as if realization just hit him then as he took in the seriousness of it all.

He went back inside, and stood at the door after it closed. He looked at everyone in the room, his eyes searching for a raven-haired elf. He walked up to him and gripped onto his shoulders.

"I'm a fucking prince!" he whispered, although there was no use in that as it still was heard by literally everyone.

Jeongguk stifled back a laugh, the first in a while. "Language, your royal highness. And yes, did you just find out?"

Taehyung stepped back but kept his hands on the other. "Yes Gguk but I'm like... a prince! An actual prince!"

"Yes," Jeongguk said again, slowly this time as if he was speaking to a child. "A prince. Heir to the throne. Throne," he stretched each word.

"Oh fuck I can't do this."

Jeongguk looked back at the elf and saw that Taehyung wasn't kidding around, he saw the fear in his eyes. He looked behind Taehyung, giving a look to Hoseok.

"Okay everyone out," Hoseok commanded with a smile. The helper elves and guards looked at Namjoon and when they received the nod of approval, they headed out the doors, not forgetting to bow to the Princes even though one of them was currently in the middle of a existential crisis.

"Hey hey, listen to me okay?" Jeongguk spoke softly.

Taehyung began taking in shorter breaths, panting. He shook his head. "Jeongguk, I'm the wrong person. You've got the wrong person. I can't-can't do this. I'll only put us in jeopardy. I don't even have a gift o-or some kind of strength or power. I'm just useless."