nine: by your side

Taehyung took in a deep breath and let it out. He stared out his balcony, waiting for the sun to rise with a frown. Usually, if Taehyung was able to wake up so early to be able to see the scene, it'd make his whole day. He'd watch with a wide mouthed smile, dragging Jimin from his slumber to join him.

Taehyung sighed, his mood not becoming any better from the events of the previous day. Zorock's words still rang through his mind.

He felt a light breeze hit, but he felt too lazy to go back inside and grab a robe to cover himself with. He felt too lazy to do anything, really.

Two light knocks were heard. Taehyung turned back to his door, wondering why the helper elves would come so early. He looked at his wrist watch, tapping on a button to check who was outside. He saw the raven haired elf standing there, yawning. Taehyung's lips ever so slightly curved upwards. He pressed on the button that'd let the door open.

In walked Jeongguk in his bed hair wearing a black velvet robe with little gold decals. He tied it loosely around his body, a bit of his chest exposed. Jeongguk stepped out to the balcony and joined Taehyung. Sleep was evident in the younger's eyes. His lips slightly pouty, another sign he'd much rather be in bed right now.

"Why're you awake?" Taehyung asked.

"Because you are."

Taehyung knotted his brows. "How'd you know I was awake?"

"Your wrist call turned on, and when that happens my alarm goes off. I have to be up as soon as you are," Jeongguk explained. "Usually, I'd wake up before you so it was never a problem, but today... why're you up so early?"

Taehyung pursed his lips and looked back at the sky, choosing to remain quiet. Although that didn't matter, Jeongguk already knew the answer.

"This is why I told you not to go, I knew he'd mess with your head. See, now you won't be able to concentrate during our practices," Jeongguk said. He then muttered under his breath, "no one ever listens to me."

Taehyung stifled a laugh. "Is that the only reason you didn't want me to go?"

"What'd he say to you?"

After they returned to the palace, Taehyung went straight to his room without uttering a word. Namjoon didn't ask about what they discussed, so no one else did.

Taehyung contemplated wether he should tell him or not. Zorock could've even been lying, but he might feel a little better sharing his thoughts with someone.

"He told me that there's a secret that's being hidden from me. That it was the reason my father sent to me to Earth and took away my memories."

"Or maybe there isn't. Maybe the late King just wanted to protect you," Jeongguk said. Taehyung sighed and closed his eyes, wrapping his arms around himself as another shiver passed through.

"Why don't we go inside?" Jeongguk suggested, noticing the little tremble. Taehyung shook his head in answer.

"Then I'll go get you a robe," Jeongguk said. As he turned around to leave, Taehyung opened his eyes and caught the boy's hand, holding him back.

"Your hands are warm," Taehyung commented.

Jeongguk turned his head back, expression changed from being confused to concerned, then softened up. "Yeah. What did you expect?"

"Well you have ice powers and all..." Taehyung trailed off, but stopped himself as it was self-explanatory. He pulled at the arm, getting Jeongguk to stumble back to the edge of the balcony.

He looked at Jeongguk for another moment, watching his eyes shine before they dimmed back to the usual blue, and as they did, Taehyung turned his attention back to the sky.