thirty-two: snow

Taehyung paced around with the tip of his thumb between his teeth. He didn't know if this was all he needed to do. If he just left like that, wouldn't Jeongguk just try to jump again? Then again, it was clear the man lost his balance when Taehyung ran after him, he might've not even gotten up with the intent to jump. He sighed and crouched down, facing the still asleep boy.

"At least I found you in this big wide world," Taehyung mumbled, repositioning his head as it might hurt his neck from how it fell. He tried to make it straight but Earth Jeongguk's head only kept swinging to one side or the other. Taehyung snickered and decided to sit down beside him then moved his head to rest on his shoulder.

Another ten minutes or so passed when Jeongguk began to stir. He became conscious again and his head lifted back up. He groaned and raked a hand through his hair before looking at Taehyung. Their eyes locked for a moment before Jeongguk sucked his breath in and quickly backed away, still on the ground.

"W-Who are you?" Jeongguk asked, eyes darting around and hands fidgeting.

"Uh, I live here? Came up for some fresh air, didn't mean to sneak up on you. You slipped so I quickly pulled you back, hit your head. Thank god, how are you feeling?" Taehyung lied.

Jeongguk furrowed his brows and brought a hand to his head, feeling around for a bump. "Uh, alright. Thanks." He seemed to think about it for a moment before he chuckled to himself and shook his head.

Taehyung felt bad for messing with his mind but he would rather not explain all of that. "Why were you up on the edge, anyway? It's extremely dangerous."

Jeongguk sneered and moved back just a bit closer and put himself back against the parapet. "Danger's my middle name," he joked with an eyebrow lift. Taehyung stared back, lifting his own brow.

"Sorry, that was extremely lame. What's up with the mask?" Jeongguk asked, avoiding Taehyung's question.

"Think I'm coming down with a cold," Taehyung said, faking a cough and Jeongguk hummed back.

"Fuck, I'm starving. How long was I out?" Jeongguk asked, grabbing his bag that had been tossed to the side. He was awfully chill for someone who just faced a near-death experience.

"Not too long. Not long enough for me to call 911," he replied.

"Want one?" Jeongguk offered a sandwich but Taehyung shook his head. As much as he did want it, he didn't want to be removing his mask. His hat had already fallen when he went after Jeongguk. He didn't want to have to cast a memory spell on him too. Jeongguk shrugged and unwrapped the cover, taking a big bite of his sandwich.

He let out a sigh of relief in the middle of chewing. "You sure, bro? I know it doesn't look like much but it's great."

Taehyung smiled, even though he couldn't see, and nodded. Jeongguk shrugged again. "Your loss."

Jeongguk gasped and stood up quickly. He leaned against the parapet and looked down at the ground. "Shit, my beer," he cursed and turned back around. He slumped back to his seat and looked at Taehyung with a frown.

"Couldn't you have saved my beer too?" he asked and Taehyung scoffed.

"Yeah, very sorry about that. Should've caught the beer first, I'll make a note of that the next time I see someone about to fall," Taehyung replied and Jeongguk began to laugh. Taehyung couldn't help but laugh along. Jeongguk got up again and walked over to one of the barrels. He stuck his hand in and pulled a bottled of wine, waving it to show off to Taehyung.

"Keep this bad boy here for cases like this," he said, popping the cap off as he walks back. He sits down and takes a large sip with his lips straight on the top. "Delicious," he whispered. "Want some?" Jeongguk offered again but Taehyung denied politely.