twenty-four: cold

Taehyung and Jeongguk were still piling through books on top of books to find something that'll help them, jotting down anything that looked useful. It was in the middle of it all that Jeongguk asked.

"Can I see your orb?"

Taehyung was suprised. He'd been deliberately not checking because he knew the change in colour somehow related to the curse.

"Uh, yeah, sure," Taehyung replied. He took in a deep breath as he pressed his hands together. Jeongguk gave him an assuring look as Taehyung formed his orb. Jeongguk bit down hard on his lip, looking at what he was hoping no to see.

The orb was partially white and partially black. It was a very even mix. It was either pure black or pure white, except for where they met they'd see a little bit a grey.

"What do you think will happen when it's completely black?" Taehyung asked the question they both didn't want to think about.

"Nothing," Jeongguk asserted but truthfully, he didn't know. Taehyung had an idea though.

"Hm, yeah. Probably," Taehyung replied, not wanting to bring up unnecessary talk. He couldn't stop looking at his orb though, wondering if it was just a representation of all the good in him slowly being eaten away.

"Hey." Jeongguk cupped Taehyung's cheek and got him to let the orb go away. "Let's take a break, hmm?"

"Are you tired? You could go to bed, I'll wrap this up," Taehyung started but Jeongguk shook his head. He leaned in and pressed a small kiss to the corner of the older's lips.

"Oh, a break?" Taehyung said, his lips slightly curving up. A distraction was nice once in a while.

"Mhm," Jeongguk hummed, stepping closer so that there was barely any distance between them.

"Well, then. Proceed," Taehyung said, placing his hands on the elf's waist. Jeongguk smiled and connected their lips together. He put his other hand on the back of Taehyung's head, grabbing a fistful of his hair to deepen the kiss.

It started slowly at first but it very quickly turned into more. Taehyung pushed him back towards the table, not caring about the books that toppled over. Jeongguk in return pushed him back to the little reading couch and made him fall on top.

"Isn't this how you tried to seduce me on Earth?" Taehyung teased pulling away.

"We promised to never speak of that again," Jeongguk said with a chuckle, attaching his lips to Taehyung's jaw.

"I really thought I was going to get some that night," Taehyung said, tilting his head to let Jeongguk access his neck. Jeongguk pressed a few kisses on his neck before hovering his lips against Taehyung's ear.

"Who says you can't get some tonight?" Jeongguk whispered and nipped the edge of Taehyung's ear.

Taehyung gasped, wondering if he was talking to the same elf he had a fully blown argument with just hours ago, but that's just what Taehyung loved about him.

•—•—•

Jeongguk woke up feeling cold. He gathered more of the blanket and covered his exposed chest. His other arm searched for the familiar body but he was just met with an empty bed. His eyes shot open and he sat up, not caring if the blanket fell down revealing is bare chest to cool air again. A sigh of relief passed his lips as he saw Taehyung drying his hair, already clothed.

"Tae?" Jeongguk called out, his voice hoarse.

Taehyung turned around, but Jeongguk didn't find the soft smile he'd usually see. His face was stiff and the corners of his lips were curved down. He approached him and took a seat on the bed. Taehyung sighed, raked a hand through the younger's hair and placed a kiss on his forehead.